POLITICS : who is going to do what for foodies? [General]

2008 Sep 19
OK, we're going into an election - how about a thread about which party is going to do something for foodies?

I'll start it off with a link to the Green Party platform, which is very heavily focused on shifting food production out of the hands of huge industry and into the hands of small, local farmers. So for foodies who are into locally produced food, I would hazard to guess this is your best bet at the ballot box.

www.greenparty.ca

I won't bother summarising since the section I've linked to is only a few minutes of reading - just down to the section that starts into genetically modified.

I'll also re-state that all signs are pointing towards the Conservatives pulling the government even further out of food inspection, if they get elected. There is another story on that in the news this morning :

www.cbc.ca

Saving 3 million bucks is peanuts, really. Sounds simply like an ideological decision, not one based in any kind of fact or certainly not saving money.

Anyone else care to enter into the thread? Anyone familiar with portions of other part platforms that might relate to foodies?

2008 Sep 19
It's hard not to like some of the Green party policies regarding food, but they seem to wander all over the map, when stating things they'd like to do. I am amused how they positively portray Europe for banning GM foods, while neglecting to mention that that ban was largely political, and protectionist, and not really done for the 'good health' of it's citizens. It would be nice if Harper, or Dion, or Layton would steal a couple of their (Green's) good ideas.. but I'm not very hopeful on that one. Green will not likely get my vote...

2008 Sep 19
Liberals

www.thestar.com

"a $30-million program to support the promotion of local farmers' markets and the branding of Canadian-grown foods"

"The Liberal government also calls for restoring farmer control overt the Canadian Wheat Board "

2008 Sep 19
Yeah, I was just about to post this link : www.theglobeandmail.com

They are announcing a 1.2 billion dollar package for farmers. Of course, the last time they offered a billion to "farmers" during the mad cow crisis, about 900 million of it went to 2 or 3 huge companies - one of them being Cargill. So their track record in that area is not great.

Though 400 million of the billion was already announced as subsidies to help farmers deal with the carbon tax.

30 million for local farm markets is a pretty paltry portion of that 1.2 billion.

2008 Sep 19
I'm all in favour of the Green Party's food policies! Then again, I am working for them...but in all seriousness, I think they have the best health policies, and food policies.

But if anyone has questions about them....

2008 Sep 19
I'm quite excited to see what Elizabeth May can do in the upcoming debates. Here's a fun video clip where she appears to trounce Don Newman's encyclopedic knowledge of all things political: (around the 3:20 mark if you want to jump to it)

I'm a fan of pretty much the entire Green platform. Fiscally conservative and socially responsible -- it's the best of both worlds. The Green participation in the debates will really give the party a chance to shine (or not). It should be very interesting either way!