Corn... pick your own [Food/Vendor]

2008 Aug 28
Anybody know of any local farms where you can pick your own corn?
I used to get corn from a family friend's garden... from stalk to pot in a few minutes... and I'm trying to duplicate the flavour.

2008 Aug 29
My mom always said : "For the best corn, you need to bring the pot to the field".

Something to do with the corn getting 'starchy' or something ?? Anyone know why corn needs to be cooked asap after harvesting ?

The only u-pick corn, I ever heard of, was kind we did as terrible teens.

The fields were only open well after sunset. You didn't need to pay the farmer and it was not wise to use a flashlight. Later, the corn would be cooked in a big 'ol rusty can over a driftwood fire on the beach.

The big 'ol rusty can could also hold a couple lobsters, if you did some snorkelling earlier in the day. ;-)

All of this would be washed down with stubbies of Schooner, Oland's Export and Ten Penny Old Stock ale.

Oh those terrible teens.

2008 Aug 29
Chicken Legs - Check out the new vendor I added yesterday, Acorn Creek Garden Farms ( Acorn Creek Garden Farm ), they do pick-your own everything! They are between Carp and Kanata (off the Carp Road) and are open 7 days a week. Check out their website, www.acorncreek.com , and the sections listing "Pick Your Own" and "Fresh This Week"... it doesn't list the corn as ready yet, so I'd give them a call before you plan on going.

2008 Aug 29
I don't think they have pick your own corn. There are so many other farm corn sellers that this is one of the vegetables that they don't grow as it is not profitable. They do however grow popcorn that you can buy - it is still on the cob. You just put it in a plain brown bag in the microwave and away it pops. The kids think it is very cool and tasty too. There are tons of other veggies that you can pick and it is well worth it to see what they have. I believe that they have their melonfest and pepper powwow this holiday Monday. You can tour the fields and sample lots of different kinds of melon - YUM

2008 Aug 29
Gardener Mom - Their webiste says they have pick your own corn... now it doesn't specify what kind.

As for the Melon Fest & Pepper Pow Wow, thanks for posting this. I've never been and it sound interesting.

2008 Aug 29
Food & Think - (sorry can't figure out how to bold) - the Melon Fest is a lot of fun and you can take a tour of the pepper growing areas and/or the melon growing areas. You can also go picking other veggies (or strawberries!). You can't pick your own melons as they all ripen differently and there is quite a knack for figuring it out. I've been to the melon fest with the family for many years and have picked up quite a bit of info. The kids love the wagon rides.

2008 Aug 29
Gardener Mom - Thanks for the info, I may just check it out. I'm not much of a melon fan, but I love peppers.

FYI to BOLD put two astericks on either side of what you want to make bold. Same concept for italics, only use two forward slashes.
(**) or (//)

2008 Aug 29
F&T Thanks! The weather looks good for Monday so I hope you make it out.

2008 Aug 29
It's not pick your own, but Hudsons corn is reliably fresh all the time, every year. I've yet to be disappointed by their corn and I'm picky about my fresh corn. It barely needs to sniff the water/grill and it's cooked enough. Lovely.

2008 Aug 30
Thanks all !!!

I'll give Acorn Creek a call on Tuesday.

BB - I agree regarding Hudsons... usually pick it up at the Carp Market. Weekdays I hit the stand at Moodie and Timm in Bells Corners and haven't been disappointed there yet.

As for Cap'n Caper... LOL, I was getting hungry just reading the post (sometimes its not what you eat, but where you eat it). Ahhh, the good ole days ;) Some serious east coast references in your post, where you from? I was in Nova Scotia when I was a kid. Went back there last year and couldn't find a fresh fish to save my life. Boy had things changed.

2008 Aug 31
Hey Chicken Legs .... Here is some insight into Captain Caper

Link ---> Captain Caper <---