addresses? [Site]

2008 Aug 20
I'm not a very active member of this website but I do use it frequently when trying to decide where to have dinner. I'm just wondering why addresses are not displayed on the vendor pages. I know that there is a "location" link but it doesn't always give very helpful results.
Other than that little quip, I love the website & find it very useful.

2008 Aug 20
smacnab - Under the Vendor's name there usually appears to clickable links named WEBSITE and LOCATION. The location button is linked to Google Maps, and although it isn't always perfect it does give out accurate information most of the time. Sometimes a vendor doesn't have a location button... for those rare cases I check any / all of the following: the Website link, the phone book, 411.ca, or if all else fails google the name of the vendor.

I know that whenever I set up a NEW Vendor that I will usually write in the address so Fresh Foodie has a reference point when he does the APPROVAL, I also will sometimes include a list of locations if it is for a chain, or in a Review, I'll indicate which location I am reviewing.

Anyhow, hope this is helpful for now... maybe Fresh Foodie will stop by and give you his take on why it is set up as it is.

2008 Aug 20
BTW, I've heard FF say this before and I agree with him that Google does a better job of keeping that info up to date than he could ever hope to do. That's why he does it this way.

2008 Aug 20
Zym - Makes sense. Plus I think it is cool that it is linked with a map, sometimes that is helpful when finding out where a new spot is. I know that a lot of out-of-towners and tourists browse this site, so having the map feature is helpful for them.

And if I recall he said something awhile ago about getting this site and stuff to link with GPS Units... something like that... sorry I'm not that technical.

2008 Aug 20
Yep, you've all got it. If I were to track address info for all restaurants, it would be guaranteed to be out of date. When approving a new vendor, I check that the Location link works; if it does not, I will usually paste full address info into the Description field.

If the Location link *does* work, I remove any address info from the entry. Again, this is to ensure that we stay up to date automatically.

Hope that helps shed some light on it!