Szechuan [Food/Vendor]

2008 May 23
Hey folks, I'm still relatively new to Ottawa, and I have a killer hankering for some szechuan. Are there any local options?

I'm not a great fan of Cantonese, generally speaking, but I'd be happy to hear recommendations for any quality Chinese places that are light on the MSG and corn starch and heavy on freshness and flavour.

Thanks!

2008 May 23
Since you ask for "light on corn starch" I'm assuming you're looking for something more authentic than the North American Chinese places that sell very thick and sweet hot & sour soup as "authentic Szechuan cuisine."

I'd be happy to hear some recommendations too. I'd love to try an authentic hot and sour soup -- I bet it isn't so sweet! I've made my own ma po tofu, but again it would be neat to find a restaurant that does it right.

My fear is that Ottawa only has fake szechuan cuisine. :( However, if you don't mind that, a good starting point might be the hot and sour soup reviews on here: Hot and Sour Soup :-)

2008 May 26
I would also love to hear about some Szechaun food in town. But if you cook szechuan food at home, search out some good szechuan peppercorns. They should make the tip of you tongue and your lips go numb! :-) In university, I used to make hotpot in my dorm room. You need some kind of tabletop burner for this.
Some other recipes to try might be Dan Dan Mian (spicy noodles with ground pork) or the so-called fish-flavoured pork.

For anyone who is interested, there was a rant in the NY Times a while back about the state of Chinese food in North America:
www.nytimes.com

2014 Nov 10
I'd like to bump this. Any current recs? I am definitely hoping for the numb burny feeling of the szechuan pepperscorns mentioned above!

2014 Nov 11
Not a restaurant but a good product with LOTS of "numb burny feeling".

Found in many Asian grocery stores. e.g. Kowloon Market and T & T Supermarket.

Huang Fei Hong Spicy Snack Peanuts
Super-crunchy and jumbo size, these peanuts are laden with Szechuan peppercorns (which make your mouth get strangely tingly and numb).

To get the freshest Szechuan peppercorns for a dish I was making, I bought these peanuts and separated out the peppercorns. Better than the Szechuan peppercorn oil that comes in little shapely glass bottles.

2014 Nov 11
I got this restaurant info from a Chinese Forum in Ottawa, the owner apparently came from szechuan, china and he is offering szechuan food but the menu is only written in chinese and have to ask for it.(regular menu is cantonese). I haven't pay a visit to this restaurant so can't offer any insight.

La Maison Szechuan
1115 Rue Saint-Louis
Gatineau, Qc J8T 2R8
(819) 205-6766

2014 Nov 12
Ottawa doesn't have as many Sichuan restaurants as Montreal or Toronto, but a couple of good selections are Ju Xian Yuan (641 Somerset) and Harmony (769 Gladstone).

Any restaurant that serves beef or fish in chili oil (also referred to as spicy fish soup) should be full of Sichuan peppercorns. Don't be afraid to look at other tables to see what they are eating and to ask the servers if they have any recommendations.

2014 Nov 13
Another thumbs up for Ju Xiang Yuan. For something a bit different (albeit not Sichuan), look for their Northern Cuisine on the menu. The "Big plate chicken with noodles" is great. It's kind of a spicy/savoury chicken stew on top of broad, handmade noodles.

2014 Nov 14
rice pea might have something your looking for. www.ricepea.com/

2014 Nov 14
Rice Pea is Xian food, nothing like Szechuan except for spiciness. Szechuan is sweet and spicy. Xian seems to be spicy and with lots of hearty, warming options (stews, lamb skewers, lamb burgers, noodles). Rice Pea, while not offering Szechuan food, is amazing. You can tell they take pride in the quality of their food.

2014 Nov 14
May's Garden has some pretty killer dishes.

2014 Nov 14
thanks for the info rice lover. I finally went to rice pea about a month ago...been craving it since.

2014 Nov 19
Thanks Captain Caper! I picked up some of those peanuts at T&T Supermarket the other day and they are positively addictive. :O

2015 Jan 19
Just to note that there's a new Sichuan restaurant in town.

It's called "Authentic Szechuan Cuisine," and it's on Somerset, west of Arthur on the south-hand side.

The food is really nice, with liberal sprinklings of sichuan peppercorns. They manage to produce that authentic fiery numbing that's so characteristic of Sichuan cuisine. So, I guess they're well-suited to their name. Would go yet again.

Can enthusiastically vouch for the:
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Mapo Tofu
- Steamed Fish with Chillis