Savvy Grapes Sommeliers - Savvy Suppers [Events]

2008 Apr 11
I thought this might be of interest. Sadly, I can't go to the April 24th event. Debbie and her team are our trusted sommeliers and we try not to miss any event she schedules... we were on deck to attend the Blind Wine Tasting this Saturday but it was cancelled.

www.thesavvygrapes.com

Announcing...
Savvy Supper Series
Unique wine & dining experiences at Ottawa's newest restaurant featuring premium wines & new flavours for each season

Thursday April 24th – Featherstone Estates Winery
Husband and wife team David Johnson and Louise Engel are ‘foodies’ with a passion for wine. Nine years ago they moved to Niagara, purchased a 23 acre property that is the site of their home, Featherstone Estate Winery and vineyard. David spent the winter of 2007 in New Zealand working at Selini Winery in Hawkes Bay during the grape harvest learning new winemaking techniques that he continues to apply at his own winery.
Food and wine menu: www.thesavvygrapes.com

Thursday June 19th – Huff Estates Winery
Huff Estates' winemaker Frederic Picard left Burgundy, France to move to Niagara where he worked as assistant winemaker at Peninsula Ridge Winery. After visiting Prince Edward County (even though it was in February), he fell in love with the region and decided to join Huff Estates. His french influences are evident through the use of french oak barrels and classic dry Rosé wine. Huff Estates recently released Prince Edward County’s first sparkling wine and it received rave reviews in a competition in Champagne, France.

Thursday Sept 11th – featured winery to be announced

2008 Apr 11
Nanook - Thank you so much for posting this info. Featherstone Estates is one my favourite wineries in Niagara. We discovered them during our first trip to Niagara (totally by accident). It was lunchtime, and a thin summertime rain had come upon the area. We were getting hungry, and based on the info we had at the time (not the best) our next stop was Legends Estate Winery in Beamsville, where we would find food and be able to look out onto Lake Ontario.

Well all was not so. Although the winery did serve food (picnics, cheese trays etc) all items were by pre-arrangement only. We were disappointed (and still hungry). That is when this unique thing that happens in Niagara took place... the nice people at one winery, recommend another winery (I swear... no where else but the wine industry have I seen this happen). They said it would be a bit of a drive - back to Featherstone in the Vineland area. But they assured us well worth the trip.

When we first came upon the winery, it didn't look anything like the others we had visited that morning. No big shiny building, no huge parking lot... just a meandering dirt drive up to a white farmhouse trimmed out with green paint. Everything here was casual. The tasting room was at the back of the house, in what I once suppose would have been the back kitchen. The wine was good, the people were nice, and was there really lunch to be had we asked. Sure, sure come on thru was the answer as we were led onto the huge expanse of veranda that is at the front of the house (still no kitchen in site).

Wooden kitchens and tables from a time gone past adorned the huge veranda (must have been 12 feet wide). Each table sporting colourful placemats and napkins. Can I get you a glass of wine? We have sangria, although today isn't really the day for it weatherwise is it? We ordered the sangria anyways. And sat back to read the hand written menus and take in the moment and enjoy the view. We were sitting plum dab in the middle of the vineyard. Vines all around. Vines that had grown that summer to heights as tall as a man. We settled on a cheese plate, and a sandwich that came with a side salad.

We sipped the sangria, and took in this rainy afternoon. The rain was hot, the day was now hazy. Under this large veranda we were dry, and watched the drizzle combine and drop off the side of the roof in droplets. Out in the vineyard there were workers. We could see they were toiling in this sticky rain. The vines were being covered with netting, as the birds were become more and more of nuisance to the wineries this late in the summer. The occasional body of a worker could be seen darting in and out among the rows, only to become lost to us as there were so many rows. Our food arrived, and we were astonished at the size of the servings. The "individual" cheese plate had several cheeses, the sandwich was on homemade bread, and the salad was fresh and yummy. We shared all between us. The food was delicious, but more than anything else in this setting it had that feeling that it had been whipped up in a farmhouse kitchen, using fresh ingredients made by the farmer (like the bread and cheese) or with items right out of the garden (and it probably had).

And then it was time to go... time to get back on our "schedule". Time to leave this oasis behind. But not before we thanked everyone for the delicious meal, and the sangria. We bought a bottle of wine (or two) and headed down the driveway back to the small towns along Lake Ontario, and the wineries that feature big colourful signs. BUT, we have not forgotten Featherstone, nor that veranda, when we sat IN the vineyard. When all was forgotten (and quiet) and there was just us and the food. It truly was as if we were transported to another place and time, a vineyard somewhere else in Europe, or California. And that is why they are our favorite winery "not on the map" (in many cases).