Looking for Icelandic hardfiskur [General]

2008 Mar 1
"The Icelandic hardfiskur has been very popular in centuries. The Icelandic fishing grounds are without a doubt among the purest in the world. Repeated studies have verified that the catch from Icelandic waters consistently meets top standards for purity. Because of this, and the high standards in fishing technology and processing at Icelandic fisheries, Icelandic seafood is in high demand in international markets. Dried fish is recognized as health food and the product is lightweight and has a long shelf life."

www.nordicstore.net

Anyone ever had any in Canada? I've only ever been able to get it when our friends go home to Iceland and I am craving it!!

2008 Mar 1
Hey Kael,

The Harðfiskur you seek is dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter.

Kinda like fish jerky ... sorda.

It's usually cod, haddock, ocean catfish, or Flounder that is used.

Dried, in the sun, after filleting and a brine dip ( for presevation (i.e. keeps the flies off) , until it is 'papery'.

I never had it, because the fishermen around me, when I grew up next to the atlantic, fully salted the fish to make salt cod . Or as the Spanish call it Bacalhau.

Like to try some though.

2008 Mar 1
Small correction: Portuguese call it Bacalhau, Spanish call it Bacalao. And it totally rocks! Theo's Theo's used to offer a very unique fish and chips made from salt cod -- it was incredibly good but no longer seems to be on their menu.

I'd be keen to try the hardfiskur too!

EDIT: I don't think it was actually "fish and chips" at Theo's but it was battered fried fish and the fish was salty and firm North Atlantic cod. It was amazing!!

2008 Mar 1
Captain Caper: Thanks for the additional info, but I knew what I was looking for :)

Fresh Foodie: If you can ever find it DEFINITELY try it! It is waaaaay too good.
I guess if I want the real thing I'll have to wait for their next trip to Iceland or suck it up and pay for shipping from the Nordic store.