Diastatic malt powder [Cooking]

2018 Nov 26
Anybody have any leads on where to buy this stuff?

2018 Nov 26
I buy the 1.5 lb Hoosier Farms jar on Amazon.ca for $15. I used to get it at Rainbow Foods but last time I asked they had stopped carrying it because of low demand.

It's the secret ingredient that makes my 60% (home ground) whole grain bread so addictively crusty!

2018 Nov 26
You can also get it from King Arthur Flour. How much do you need?

2018 Nov 26
Thanks for the info, we’re getting into making our own bread, and have heard that this is a ‘magic’ ingredient that some bakers use to get a better rise etc etc. we have no idea how much we would use to make a batch, 2 loaves at a time. So there’s also that. It seems to come in packages about like what Warby uses. We were wondering if anyone around here has it without going the online route.

2018 Nov 27
My container is 4 ounces. You use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per 3 cups of flour. And sorry, I have not seen it anywhere. Maybe a local bakery would sell you some?

2018 Dec 14
I ordered this from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and arrived within a week. Making my first French loaf today.

2019 Jan 9
We sell it at Defalcos, the local homebrew shop. $12 and change for a 1kg bag

2019 Jan 16
Is the stuff at Defalco's diastatic? i.e. still have active enzymes?

2019 Jan 17
I was there, and asked them, they said what they had was not diastatic malt.

2019 Jan 17
They do probably sell the enzymes separately though - so probably combine the two and would not make a difference.

2019 Nov 13
I was also looking for an answer. This is quite helpful
Thank you.

2019 Nov 14
I have gone to a number of places, here Toronto, etc etc and not found any. Haven’t gone the internet route. Amazon has it, and I think there is a baking supply place in Vancouver.

May 9
I got some, along with some other baking supplies, from an outfit in TO called Qualifirst. Good prices and fast delivery.