A different kind of farmers' market. [General]

2017 Jun 6
Hi, Ottawa Foodies.

This is my first post.

I am a foodie who travels for business. I am also a "very" small farmer and involved in a small farm community that is really cool.

Do you like farmers' markets? Have you been to a farmers' market where there were no actual farmers in sight?

What if you could go to a farmers' market on a working farm where all of the vendors are small farmers? What if you could buy real, organic, ethical products from the people who actually produce them?

We are a group of small foodie farmers who have been to other markets. We decided that there was a better way. What if farmers held a farmers market for farmers and their foodie customers?

What if that market was happening this Sunday, June 11 on a small, working farm 30 minutes from Ottawa near Merrickville? We have 15 vendors of which all but three are actual small, working farms. The other three are friends of the farms who produce exceptional quality health and beauty products, wood working, and spectacularly restored antique cast iron cookware.

This time we also have two musical acts that will be performing. This event is family friendly and kid friendly.

This is a private event by invitation only. Please contact me for more information and an invitation.

Want to know more? Send me a note.

2017 Jun 6
I am interested-but we might have a date conflict. I will get back to you in a day or 2.

2017 Jun 6
I luuuuv this market, it's got all the good stuff.

Can't wait to go again to load up on goodies, and, I hear Bruce Enloe will be playing there this time!

See you Sunday, Hank!

2017 Jun 7
why private invite only?

2017 Jun 7
We have all participated in one or more mainstream markets. Last year, our farm participated in a new market. There were often less than 10 vendors while there were 22 pages of rules. It seemed to us that a 2.2:1 ratio of pages of rules to vendors was somewhat excessive. My wife and her friend Brandy decided that we should have our own market with hookers and blackjack. (A Futurama reference.)

The reality is that most farmers markets that are held on public property or that rent space on private property have a LOT of rules because they are forced to have a lot of rules by the property owner or the municipality. Many of those rules are based on the rules lobbied for by the large agrifood industry which are anti-competitive and anti-choice. You cannot, for example, legally sell farm fresh ungraded eggs at a farmers market. You can, however, sell them on the farm where they originated as long as the customer comes to the farm to buy them.

This is a private event on private property and is not open to the public. If you are a foodie who wants food freedom and real food choice you can send us a note and we will invite you to the market.

By the way, our market only has 4 rules.

1. Be discrete. We want to keep the market under the radar.

2. Don't be a jerk.

3. The market is about real food, real farmers, and real choice.

4. Be discrete. Keep conversations about things that should be private private.

2017 Jun 8
I sent you a PM

2017 Jun 8
You had me at the hookers and blackjack, but then your rules brought up this whole Fight Club vibe and now i MUST be there.

PM sent.

2017 Jun 10
A number of people have asked about an invitation to the market. To get an invitation, please friend me on Facebook.

facebook.com/hank.carr

I will then add you to the secret Farmers' Black Market group to which the event is attached.

Once you're added to the FBM group you can unfriend me if you are so inclined.

2017 Jun 10
Thanks for the invite. See you tomorrow!

2017 Jun 11
i'm deadly curious to know how this went, if anyone who didn't sign a NDA is at liberty to share

2017 Jun 12
It was awesome! Perfect weather, great food, and fabulous music, got lots of goodies.

In the picture are samosas, (sorry for the bite out of one) the packaging for some goats milk fudge (oops, all gone by the time the camera came out) and some *** milk cream cheese that was gobbled down before picture time. The cheese paper it was in is crumpled to the side of the picture.

There were other goodies purchased that can't be photographed due to a NDA. ;-)

2017 Jun 12
I visited as well and had a great time.

The weather was perfect and the vendors all seemed to be enjoying the event, very friendly atmosphere. Highly recommend stopping by the next time they run one.

Got some cheese, cheese curds, butter, sausages, bacon, some greens and a Goats Milk Caramel sauce which tastes amazing; and some other assorted snacks and treats.

At work right now but I'll take a picture of the bacon round when I get home.

2017 Jun 12
I missed it, I'm hoping there will be another one over the summer

2017 Jun 12
It was really great to meet those of you who came down and identified yourselves.

We want to spread the word but we also want to stay under the radar of the large agrifood companies and their armed enforcement branch. This market puts you directly in contact with the people who make these products. I assume that those samosas came from Brandy? She makes such delicious samosas. I haven't checked with Anita to make sure she bought me some. I came home last night, showered, and fell into bed.

If you're interested in the next market we have a secret group on Facebook. Friend me at facebook.com/hank.carr and I will add you to the group.

There really is no NDA. Just be careful about what you say publicly about the products that are available. Please, feel free to share information privately.

2017 Jun 12
Another quick note. If you had a pulled pork sandwich at the market it was a pig bred and raised by Brandy (one of the vendors), slaughtered on farm, smoked and pulled by me in a smoker I built from old propane tanks, topped with Anita's home made Swine Sauce, on home made buns made by Anita on Saturday, with a side of fresh coleslaw with malt vinegar, maple syrup (made on our farm this spring), and honey from Miss Mary (another vendor) with carrots and green onions from Blue Grass Farm (another vendor.) The only reason we didn't use their cabbage is that their stores are empty waiting for the first harvest this year.

Real food. Real farmers. Real choice.

2017 Jun 12
I signed up and really wanted to go, but I couldn't stand the idea of 2 hours in the car in that heat.

Maybe next time.

2017 Jun 12
You should come in the fall. It's cooler, there's lots of good produce available, and there's pumpkin pie.

2017 Jun 12
It was super! As a vendor, I didn't have a lot of time or energy after the event... and I had family visiting :o But to the rescue were all of the market things we all had bought; phenomenal salami, greens, fresh cheese bread, my cheeses and butter and then to top it all off ice cream from Hank topped with some goat's milk caramel sauce! What a feast! Thank you guys who came out, it was a fun day with good food, cheer and music!

2017 Jun 14
I would be interested in a future event now that parental units house is finally on the market.

2017 Jun 14
Friend me on Facebook and I'll add you to the group.

facebook.com/hank.carr