Schwartz's Style Smoked Meat in Ottawa? [Food/Vendor]

2016 Aug 28
Hello,

Does anyone know which restaurant in Ottawa has smoked meat that falls in the same spectrum as Schwartz's? Schwartz's smoked meat is a bit drier, more steak-y and solid - but the ones I have had in Ottawa are moist, and taste like Ham more or less (I have tried Dunn's near City Hall and Merivale and Nate's). I can vouch for this "difference" because I still had a few slices of Schwartz's in my fridge when I bought some the first time. The ones from Schwartz's had a rough, solid looking, deep red texture while the ones I have tried so far are pink and moist.

To demonstrate, here are two pictures.

Here is a recent picture of Schwartz's
thetimecrunchedtraveler.com
And one from Nate's:
www.natesdeli.ca

2016 Aug 28
No idea where to find the Schwartz's smoked meat, but looks just like how I remember smoked meat from when I was a kid. The stuff I see now the odd time I darken the door or a restaurant does look more processed, and more like sliced, wet, deli ham.

My parents used to take me to a little Kosher place that I think was called Kardishes? Can't quite recall though. It had great smoked meat.

Not sure if that place even exists anymore. I tried a Google search but it keeps showing me Kurdish restaurants, or Kardish Health Food stores!

2016 Aug 28
I'm not looking for schwartz's per se, any smoked meat that is the type as described would do.
Seems that all I've seen so far are as you described, processed, wet deli ham.

2016 Aug 28
smoque shack maybe.

2016 Aug 28
Have tried to find that type of smoked meat and haven't yet found anything. I stock up when I go to Montreal. Would love to hear that there is some similar smoked meat in Ottawa but I don't believe there is.

2016 Aug 29
I have never had good smoked meat in Ottawa. I gave up on Schwartz's years ago and now bring back Smoked Meat Pete's or the Quebec Smoked Meat in Pointe St Charles.

2016 Aug 29
Good luck lol. It's mostly all the squishy chewy hot pink stuff here.

However, there are options, perhaps not just like Schwartz's, but close. You need to find a butcher or restaurant that makes it in-house. Meat in the Middle had good smoked meat, but they closed. As mentioned, the KING of smoked meat used to be Kardish Deli, but it's been gone for 15 years.

Always available, try the smoked meat sandwiches at the back of The Butchery in Bells Corners.

Two Six (Ate) on Preston also smokes their own spiced brisket and makes an incredible Reuben. Their menu changes a lot, so you might want to follow them to find out when it's on. Another possible option is Meat Press sandwich shop in Hintonburg. Filling Station on Clyde/Woodward also has a smoked meat sammy that isn't the neon pink stuff.

Good luck and let us know the results of your search.

2016 Aug 29
Organicgirl, it might have been the Kardish Deli that your parents took you to. It was at the corner of Wellington St W and Somerset St W until it went out of business in the early or mid 90's I think. Tree Pug maybe never ate there, that's why he's never had good smoked meat in Ottawa. They did have excellent smoked meat. My sister used to pay a dollar extra to get the leaner smoked meat, a waste of good money imo. I was told long ago that they had it smoked in Montreal for them. After the Kardish family sold the deli their 3 sons started the Kardish Health Food stores.

2016 Aug 29
Kettlemen's has Montreal style smoke meat. I'm not going to pretend it's Schwartz' level, but solid.

Anyone tried a place called 'Dandy Brisket' on Lancaster, near Russel x Smyth?

2016 Aug 29
The rumour years ago was that the Kardish smoked meat recipe ended up with the owner of Bobby's Table, after a very short-lived existence at a restaurant in Aylmer started by an ex-employee.

2016 Aug 29
I hope you guys know I am talking about buying smoked meat by the pound, not the sandwich itself. So far the recommendations I got here are:

Bobby's Table on Montreal Road
The Butchery on Bells Corners
Dandy Brisket on Lancaster
Two Six (Ate) on Presto
Meat Press on Hintonburg
Filling Station on Clyde/Woodward

Can someone please confirm if they sell good, solid, non moist-hammy smoked meat by the pound and how good they are?

P.S : I hope you guys know IGA still sells Schwartz's smoked meat, the packaged version. I have yet to try it. Thoughts?

2016 Aug 29
I ate Kardish's smoked meat many years ago. I can't really remember it but I clearly do not share the fond memories some people have for the place as I never went back.

2016 Aug 29
That really wouldn't matter.
What about the ones on my list?

2016 Aug 29
Shadh, you asked for information about restaurants that have smoked meat similar to Schwartz's. In no way does that make it clear (or even suggest) that you're trying to buy it by weight. So no, the people who put time into answering your request did not know you were talking about buying smoked meat by the pound.

And yes, people's fond and not so fond memories do matter. We are a respectful and helpful forum here. Dismissive comments are neither of those things.

Thanks for summarizing all the suggestions in your post above. Of the vendors in your list, the only one I'd expect to sell by the pound would be The Butchery. Check them out or try the packaged Schwartz's smoked meat from IGA and let us know how it goes. :-)

2016 Aug 29
The original post does not make that slabs-not-sandwiches point.

Kettleman's sells it by the pound. I haven't tried it but as they nail Montreal bagels they may make it work.

The IGA version is good, but to get closer to the real thing you have to steam it yourself.

2016 Aug 30
To be fair, I never said "Smoked meat sandwiches" - I have always seen and have bought them by the pound (while I was at Montreal) and thought that was the norm, clearly not. Even though English isn't my first language, I really enjoy it when someone tries to take a simple remark as aggressive and then takes an aggressive tone with me in return to tell me how to calm down and behave. Glad we cleared that part up.

But I do apologize at people who actually took time discussing and offering suggestions, all I meant was "that doesn't help me" or "I would rather". I realize that may come up as brash and aggressive, depending on how you're looking at it. If it did, I am sorry.

@Osolomeal thanks for the IGA part. I really didn't want to make a trip down to Gatineau without knowing if it was any good. I am craving it well enough to waste my time steaming it. Hopefully that will be better than most of the stuff I've had so far. I actually have had Kettleman's (The one at Carling is literally a 5 minutes walk from my house) - they are good

2016 Aug 30
Thanks for clarifying the intended tone of your message, Shadh.
Internet communications aren't easy. And welcome to the site!

2016 Aug 30
Costco was selling packaged Schwartz's smoked meat last winter but I stopped looking for it after not seeing it a couple of times. It was really good although as OSoloMeal says, it gets better when you steam it (we use our Instantpot!).

2016 Aug 30
Costco at Hunclub and Merivale carries it all the time. I bought some yesterday. All you need is a steamer, sharp knife and some Rideau Bakery rye bread and you can rival anyplace in Ottawa that serves smoked meat sandwiches.

2016 Aug 30
i just saw smoked meat by the pound at seed to sausage general store today.

2016 Aug 30
@ Food buddy & Ken V, thanks for the info.
But being single and without a car, I'd rather avoid costco. I think I'd rather go to the IGA at Gatineau - it takes a little bit more time but, eh, bulk buy an yearly memberships are not my thing.

After steaming, does it still stay hammy or get *closer* to the real deal. I wouldn't expect it to go close - I know at least *that* much about food. But I hope it gets that dry, spicy, thick texture I've been craving so much. If it is anywhere near that, it already has surpassed all the other places in Ottawa and won't have to think about rivaling lol

2016 Aug 31
The dry yet moist thing is tricky. I managed close with a kind of double-boiler improv but what they use at Schwartzes is hard to nail. There might be a sous-vide trick that would work.

2016 Aug 31
I always had the feeling it was the fat content and the amount of spice (it has to be just the right amount and marinated the right amount of time)

I used a baking tray with grates with a pan under it that was set to boil at med temp, I smoked the cold ones I brought back from Schwartz's pretty good. But then again, they had a better origin story lol

2016 Aug 31
Picked this up from The Butchery today. It didn't last long. It was really nice.

Pretty good deli meat for a butcher shop.

2016 Sep 2
Just happen to be in New York so I stopped at Katz's for a pastrami sandwich. While it is a truly delicious sandwich, it is a different beast than Schwartz. Both are worth the hype and experience.

2016 Sep 3
I am so jealous Stewtine. Had leftovers from my Schwartz's smoked meat brisket yesterday. Cut thick like Katz does. The texture is flaky and tender when it comes out of the steamer.

2016 Sep 3
Thanks Ken V. We picked up some Schwartz's smoked meat at Costco on Thursday. The picture is not great but this is what it looks like after 20 minutes of steaming in the Instantpot. It was delicious.

2016 Sep 4
Great. Midnight+ and I'm seriously considering driving to Mtl for a sandwich.

2016 Sep 4
SHOTGUN!

2016 Sep 4
Schwartz's seems to have let it go... or maybe I just got a bad batch - Take a look.
scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

It was, as the picture suggests, soggy and moist - even the bread tasted like superstore rye bread. I hope for everyone's sake it was just that one day and one hour. This is from my last trip (last long weekend) which should confirm this is a new occurance:
scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

And I have concluded my findings after trying all of them. This is only ranking buying the smoked meat and then using it to make your own sandwitch.

Schwartz's @ Montreal > Schwartz's @ IGA > Kettleman's >>>>>>>> Nate's / Dunn's

I am attaching a picture of my results with my makeshift steamer (pot with water with a grated tray on top and a heavy lid covering the area) with the IGA bought stuff. It was not the real thing but it was closer than anything. Beats Nate's or Dunn's by a hundred miles. Kettleman's was a little drier but still pretty damn good.

I am not sure how good the costco one is comapred but I had a friend tell me the IGA one was better - maybe he just steamed it wrong

2016 Sep 5
Schwartz's changed ownership some years ago and the cognoscenti claim it is not the same anymore.(a friend of mine ate with and got a lesson on Schwartz's by Mordecai Richler. My pal stopped eating there years ago and goes to the Main across the street). Seems like you got a full fat sandwich. My preference is a medium.

2016 Sep 5
Well, the default for the sandwich is medium, as far as I know at least. I was there last on last long weekend, just a month ago and that was still great. My guess is they are starting to let go.

But the plus in all of this is the IGA variant produces great results and saves me a trip :)