Anyone using corn cobs for smoking meats? [General]

2016 Aug 26
I was at some friends' cottage this summer and had some bacon that smelled really nice and smokey while being cooked and had good flavours when eaten. Turned out that it was Corn Cob-Smoked Bacon from Sobey's/Foodland. I looked around online and found that using corn cobs was popular earlier last century (and maybe earlier). It seems to be making a comeback the past 10 or 15 years I think. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried smoking with them and if you have any thoughts.

2016 Aug 29
Nobody's used corn cobs for smoking?
I'm drying some sweet corn cobs that I cut the kernels off to freeze so I'll give them a try when they are dry enough and when I've got some pork to roast. I'd like to try it before the field corn that surrounds us comes off in a couple of months - I'd like to bag some dry, shelled cobs from the field if I like the flavour.

2016 Aug 29
I love the idea but the process will be problematic for me. Also, lots of contradicting info on whether to dry or soak the cobs.

2016 Sep 2
I smoked ribs on the BBQ yesterday and used some of the cobs I had dried after cutting the corn off. I also used some applewood chips. I made up 2 packets - one had about equal parts soaked wood chips and soaked cobs that had been chopped in ~1" pieces with a hatchet, the other had about half soaked wood chips and dried whole cobs (not soaked). I found that the all-soaked packet smoked more slowly while the dried cobs smoked more quickly and intensely, with lots of smoke. The smoke was a very aromatic smoke, quite appetizing, and the ribs were quite smokey and pink-ringed, with a bit too much smoke for my dw's tastes but I found them very much to my liking. Next time I may chop half the cobs and soak them as well as soaking some whole cobs to see if I need to bother chopping them. I was a little surprised to find that the dried cobs are quite tough. Maybe I'll try using just the cobs, no wood chips, sometime. I will be collecting some field corn cobs, probably in November when it is combined. I'm wondering if the cobs will be needing some drying time - I suspect they will. The first sweet corn cobs I saved, very fresh and moist, went mouldy pretty quick.

2016 Sep 2
I am going to be cooking ribs tomorrow night ... may use the cobs from tonight's dinner as an experiment.

2016 Sep 5
I followed through with the experiment. Cooked some ribs on the Big Green Egg and added the corn cobs. The smoke was very pleasant and the ribs were quite tasty. I would definitely repeat the experiment.

2016 Sep 5
Nice to hear. Did you add any wood in addition to the fresh cobs?

2016 Sep 6
Yep, I added a chunk of cherry wood.

2016 Nov 5
While I was having breakfast this morning I heard the sounds of a combine and looked out the window to see it combining the corn that surrounds us. That is always good news for us as it means we get our view back - we are surrounded on 3 sides by corn every few years, with soybeans or wheat the other years and they are easy to see over top of. After the combine had passed I went out and picked up shelled, chopped cobs to dry by the fire and use for smoking for the next year. The combine spews these pieces out 5 m or more onto the grass so it is easy picking them up; I walked maybe 30 m on the grass without going into the cornfield to pick up what I did. It would be just as easy if you walked through the corn.
Now would be a good time to find some corn cobs ou there as it is harvest time. You want to look for a field where they have combined shelled corn and left the cobs behind, not a field where they don't she'll but take the whole cob with the kernels still attached. I think if you find a field right beside a road where the farmer has cut the grass right up to the corn you can collect cob pieces from the public roadside if you don't have a farmer to ask permission. And enjoy a nice ride in the countryside.

2016 Nov 5
If one uses a milk crate owned by a dairy do you really need to ask permission of the farmer to collect left over cobs ?

BTW: I still use the milk crates I 'liberated' in the '70s to store my vinyl Lp's.

2016 Nov 5
It's just a courtesy, not a necessity, Captain.

Genuine milk crate with some of my vinyl, which includes my first one, Strange Days, by The Doors.