H'Appy Xmas! [Recipes]

2015 Dec 17
Gang,

The last 2 years I have cooked nice red meat for a meal. This year we are tossing around the idea of grazing over appetizers all day instead of a sit down meal. Any suggestions on appetizers to consider making?

K,

2015 Dec 17
One of my favourites to make this time of year is phyllo pastry stuffed with sausage, or cheese & spinach, or cream cheese with cocoa & coconut, or whatever.

Brush them with leaf lard of you like them crispy, or butter for a softer pastry. Bacon fat is sublime if you have it on hand.

You can make them ahead and freeze them, so that way you can just pull them out frozen and bake when you need them.

2015 Dec 17
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers;

Cut Jalapeno in half, scrape out seeds with a spoon (or leave in if you like extra spicy)
Mix together grated Cheddar Cheese and Cream Cheese
Spoon cheese mix into halved pepper
Wrap with half slice of bacon (No need to use toothpick, half slice wraps around nicely)
Bake in over @ 400 for about 30ish minutes

Serve with beer

2015 Dec 17
We do fondue every year for the holidays. It's an excellent grazing choice. Cheese fondue for the "main" and chocolate fondue for desert.

2015 Dec 17
How about mini chive and gruyere popovers? I like to make these, scoop out a small hole, insert some rare cooked beef and add a dollop of horseradish cream. I make the popovers ahead of time and freeze them. They day of, just re-heat them briefly to take that freezer taste off them and you are good to go. Best served at room temperature.

2015 Dec 17
How about baked brie in pastry with some cranberry sauce and nuts? You can have it set up and just toss it in the oven when needed.

Other options:
* Deviled eggs
* smoked salmon on latke
* Quiche.. when I used prepared frozen shell(s), I can knock 2 different quiches out in a little over an hour which is good since we have some vegetarians in the family.

2015 Dec 18
We're doing that too this year, haven't set the menu yet but depending on theme here are few suggestions:

* mini phyllo pastries
* mini quiches
* veggies with pitta and hummus (cedar on bank has fantastic homemade roasted pepper)
* mixed olives
* mini sandwiches (afternoon tea style, wraps)
* croquette, bruschetta, open face sandwiches
* fingerling potatoes with toppings
* puff pastry tarts or pizza
* empanadas
* mixed plate of steamed or roasted veggies with aioli or other favourite
* salad
* sliders
* skewers
* spring rolls, fresh summer rice paper rolls or lettuce wrap)
* sushi
* wrapped asparagus
* waffles and crêpes
* Mix of tartelette, cookies, dessert spoons, fudge and pastries

2015 Dec 18
Add one more from the 50 cocktails classics (or maybe 60?) bacon wrapped dates stuff with cream cheese. You can also add a bit a terryaki or bbq as a glaze if it makes you feel good :)

2015 Dec 18
Add a modern classic like bacon and cheese biscotti - no cocktail party should be without it (no beer party either).

2015 Dec 18
If you're by chapters check out Martha Stewart's new Appetizer book and website. Got it for my mom for Christmas (sneaked a peak) that volume is full of inspiration and variety:)

2015 Dec 20
Oh man this all sounds good. Maybe each of you should drop off 2 appys on xmas day for me ;)

One thing I would add to the list is mini jamaican patties. If anyone has a good recipe for them pls let me know!

K

2015 Dec 24
Just took a tray of phyllo pastry out of the oven, Krusty. Alas, I only made one tray, so can't spare any for you. ;-)

I was out of sausage, so I stuffed it with ground pork and the seasoning I would use in our farmers sausage.