pudding? [Recipes]

2015 Nov 19
Anyone have good recipes for various pudding from scratch? Coconut creme has to be in there!

2015 Nov 20
I make a pretty yummy pudding. Chocolate and butterscotch are the favourites in our house. Haven't made a coconut creme yet.

You might adjust ingredients depending on where in their lactation your cows are though, Krusty. I find I need more cornstarch when they are newly freshened, maybe because the fat content isn't as high then.

Butterscotch Pudding:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks

Put all this into a pot, stir constantly and bring heat up until the cornstarch thickens. Then add 1 −2 tablespoons of butter, and a dash of vanilla.

I use cane sugar for this recipe, I found brown sugar made it too molasses tasting.
If you are using duck eggs, one yolk is usually enough.
I can get away with 1 tablespoon of butter in the summer when the grass is good, but in the winter months more is better as the butter doesn't taste as buttery.

Chocolate Pudding:
1/3 cup sugar
2 − 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of cocoa
2 cups milk

Put all this into a pot, stir constantly and bring heat up until the cornstarch thickens. Then add 1 −2 tablespoons of butter, and a dash of vanilla.

I use 3 or 4 tablespoons of cocoa because we like it extra chocolaty.

I'll make a double batch of either these and we'll eat a bit for dessert, and the rest I'll put into small 125ml mason jars and then pack them in the kids lunches that week.

2015 Nov 23
PUDDING PARTY!

PUDDING PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRTTTTAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 Nov 25
Oh, man. That takes me back to my days at University.
No pics.

2015 Nov 25
Some say that making your own pudding is wholly wasted effort in a true pudding party scenario.

I say those people lack imagination, depth and flavour.

2015 Nov 28
Butterscotch Pudding

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar (see Note at end of recipe)
2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted), melted
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/4 cups whole milk
½ teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons dark rum or whisky
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, make the butterscotch base by mixing the brown sugar with the melted butter. Set aside.

2. Put the yolks in a small bowl and stir briefly.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with a small amount of the cold milk until smooth. Pour the rest of the milk into a heavy saucepan and scrape in the slurry of cornstarch and the salt.

3. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Whisk a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks and then scrape the warmed egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan.

4. Keep cooking and stirring the custard until it comes to a boil again. It will become quite thick and mound up like mayonnaise. Remove it from the heat and pour it into the butterscotch base. Add the rum and vanilla and whisk until the butterscotch has dissolved into the custard. Pour into large serving bowl or individual glasses and refrigerate overnight. Serve topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Note: If you want a lighter butterscotch flavor, feel free to use light brown sugar in place of the dark brown for a milder flavor.