Advice for an aspiring baker? [General]

2015 Nov 8
A close and very talented friend is changing career paths and likely enrolling in Algonquin's Baking & Pastry program, and I'm wondering if anyone here might have any advice or experience from being in the program or working with others who have come out of it.

Specifically, curious to know what life after the program might look like-- where its graduates end up, potential for working for or starting a small business, etc. etc.

Anyone have any familiarity with the program or know how the years afterward have gone for a past grad?

Thanks for any input-- appreciate any related advice others might have re: making a career as a baker.

2015 Nov 9
I did pretty much the same thing a few years back (did both pastry and cuisine at Cordon Bleu and work at restaurant now) and I love what I'm doing. It ain't easy and its a labour of love.

My advice to your friend would be to stage first at few places that interest him/her and see if they REALLY like it. You can be the most talented home baker/cook but in reality, you'll likely start off at the bottom doing menial tasks until you have shown initiative and an ability to carry out the chef's instructions. As well, cooking for friends and larger scale production for sale to the public are different beasts.

As for life after...if they end up in a kitchen, it will be tough work at the start as they would most likely come in an entry level and be expected to work the line. In addition to desserts, your friend should expect to do some cold/hot apps and salads as they would most likely start as garde manger. Most restaurants don't have the budget to hire a dedicated pastry chef so the duty is mainly carried out garde manger position who does other preparations as well.

If they end up in a bakery, the pace is usually a bit less hectic (except special occasions such as Easter, Mother Day, etc...) but the hours can be just as long (10+ daily). Early mornings/overnights are a possibility as well.

2015 Nov 9
If your friend is leaning towards entrpreneurship, tell him/her to be prepared for a tough slog too. My sister has had her own wholesale bakery for about five years and is still figuring out how to make it viable. The specialty food industry seems to be having a pretty tough year so far locally. There are a lot of people out there doing baked goods at markets, events, etc. and when someone seemingly as popular as Auntie Loo can't make a business out of it, you know it's not easy!

2015 Nov 12
Start saving now for a food truck.