Gelato / Ice Cream options in the west end [General]

2015 Sep 3
I'm a big fan of gelato but usually find myself not having the time to drive to Elgin, Bank St, downtown etc. from the west end to get some. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to get good gelato or ice cream in the west end of the city? The only one that comes to mind is Truffle Treasures in Westboro but I haven't been very impressed with their gelato.

2015 Sep 3
Gelato is a sometimes-treat for me so I'm happy to make the trip to Preston Street for Gelatini Gelato. As you move out to the suburbs it's all Menchie's and Kiwi Kraze until you hit the rural areas where there are more independently owned ice cream shops. For soft ice cream, La Crémière in Bayshore Mall is pretty amazing!

For regular ice cream, it's going to be hard to beat Pascale's All Natural Ice Cream so maybe just keep a tub of that handy for when you need it?

2015 Sep 3
Trii Outdoor Lounge on Wellington has decent gelato.

The Merry Dairy truck is often out and about in the west end. There's a "track the truck" feature on their website that tells you where they are.

2015 Sep 4
Truffle treasures does not make their own gelato, it is some other brand made in Ottawa (not Piccolo Grande,but similar).

I kind of hate the Truffle Treasures store on bank-they have too many "rules" for buying gelato. Not letting you have 2 scoops in a small cup?? Super lame.
Only 1 sample? super super lame again.

Is it really so much trouble to get a small cup with 2 smaller scoops?
Most other places do not mind if I ask that.

Cedar's grocery is selling Kawartha ice cream by the scoop this summer. I think it is $2.49 for a scoop.
I haven't gotten any yet,but will this weekend. They have that awful blue bubble gum and tiger tail ice cream.

A lot of the gelato shops do sell by the larger container. I know Stella luna does, Pascale's is sold at life of pie. Malak pastry also has gelato and lebanese ice cream by the scoop or weight.

I do not know any other place in Ott that makes Lebanese ice cream-it is quite different from regular ice cream or gelato and is made with Mastic gum.
I do not like to eat tons of it as it is quite rich and "gummy" but really different.

I really like strawberry ice cream, but have not seen any place that has some that is really good with a ton of strawberry in it. Maybe I will have to make my own.

I live near Bank st, so most likely I am getting ice cream on Bank st...seeing I have no car.

2015 Sep 4
Gelatini's pistachio gelato is to die for. I used to purchase their take home containers for $13.00 but I see the price has now gone up to $16.00. Their hours are also rather confusing...I've driven there at lunchtime during the summer only to find that they don't open until the evening. The pistachio sells out quickly so it's best to call ahead if your heart is set on that flavour.

I've tried Merry Dairy but it's not my thing. Overpriced softserve that was a bit grainy and the chocolate sauce tasted like that awful Hershey's stuff that comes in a can.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that someone opens a Pure location in the west end. I don't get the love for all these new frozen yogurt shops that are popping up. I suppose they are popular amongst kids because of all the candy toppings. My mouth is watering thinking about a cup of blackcurrant gelato right now...no gummi bear topping required!

2015 Sep 4
Gelatini has the best gelato of the ones I have tried. I used to like Truffle Treasures but not so much any more. I find it leaves some sort of weird artificial aftertaste in the mouth as though they use artificial flavourings.

2015 Sep 4
The gelato at Luigi Panini (Merivale Rd) is really good, too.

2015 Sep 4
Luna Cafe in Kanata on March Rd. does a decent gelato. They have crepes, paninis, the usual as well. I agree, Truffle Treasures is terrible.

2015 Sep 6
Chateau pastry on Walkley Rd makes their own gelato also.
Their pistachio one is good, so is the chocolate.
They just relocated here a month ago and are where the tan salon used to be (same plaza as Prince Ali bakery).
They seem to open at 8am every day and are open till 8pm.

I spoke to the Lebanese man Gaby? who makes the cakes and gelato and he told me they will have gelato and sorbet year round.

Tried some cake slices from Chateau and one was way too dry,prob sitting in the fridge too long,but other cake I tried was fine.
Baklava and cookies are good too.

I prefer the sorbet from Malak,only because it has fruit pieces in it and they always have different,interesting flavors.

I had been told that Truffle Treasures just uses fruit concentrates and juices for the sorbet,not sure if that is entirely true or not, but their sorbet did not have any fruits in it and was quite sweet.

Thimble Cakes on Bank st is also really good and I think they are vegan also?
I do not get to that end of Bank st often,but like everything I tried from there.