gourmet outaouais [General]

2015 Jul 9
On holiday this week and exploring the Outaouais near Ripon.

We got a tourism brochure from this site, and it full of interesting places: organic vegetable farms, goats, bison, cheeses, ciders, fruits, honey . . .

outaouaisgourmetway.com/en/

2015 Jul 9
Cidrie croque pomme near Thurso. They have 7 hectars of apples for picking, including pink fleshed apples (end of August and first three weeks of September). They have several hard ciders, made as ice cider. The apples are allowed to freeze, then pressed in February. The juice is allowed to freeze again, and the ice removed, further concentrating the sugar.

They are going to be open every Saturday and Sunday starting July 11. The address is 20 Berndt, just west of Thurso on the 148.

2015 Jul 9
Farme brylee. They have a restaurant, by reservation only, minimum 10 people. You order ahead of time on the website.

2015 Jul 9
Farme brylee again.

2015 Jul 9
Domaine Mont-Vezeau . . . amazing strawberry wine.

Apparently a law in Quebec that you can only sell alcohol made from fruits you grow yourself
They sell strawberries too.

2015 Jul 10
Alimentation LA defriche: this place doesn't look like much from the driveway, but it was amazing. The owner took us around his organic farm, and spent two hours telling us about them, lore, history of the area, sampling. I never really ate fresh flowers before, but they have great flavors and health benefits.

There was so much stuff, too numerous to mention, a large garden, which he knew in great down to individual plants. He had chickens (smart chickens), peacocks, goats. His goats were going into a field they shouldn't have, and he whistled and called to them and they obeyed him and came back. My wife grew up on a farm and it amazed her how obedient they were.

Everything is done organically, without chemicals or pesticides, but it all looked vibrant and healthy. He harvested produce right from the gardens for us, and they tasted amazing.

2015 Jul 11
RE: Defriche

I think I buy their stuff at Rainbow. Really good stuff, actually. I'll have to make a trip out there.

2015 Jul 11
Maple sugar cotten candy at the marche public petite nation . . .

2015 Jul 11
Domain de meteores: white, red, rose wines, from the vineyard

2015 Jul 11
Bottled 2013

2015 Jul 19
Les Folies Bergères . . . great sheep and goat cheese. Some of it is washed in strawberry wine.