What would you do with pork bones? [Cooking]

2015 Jul 8
Last weekend I went to Kowloon Market to pick up some chicken bones to make chicken soup for lunch. They didn't have any out when I was there so I ended up making something else for lunches this week. However I noticed they had quite a few bags of pork bones out which I have seen from time to time. I passed on them this time but on my next trip there I might like to buy some to make a pork broth. I was thinking of making my standard broth with them. I usually start with celery, carrots, onion and a bay leaf place bones on top, then fill pot with enough water to cover everything. I have never made any recipes that call for pork broth though. Has anyone ever used pork broth for anything? If so what would you recommend?

2015 Jul 8
Pasta lover, I might be tempted to use some pork stock to replace the water to make this dish extra porky! Great for lunch, and filling as well as extra tasty with the added masa. It's my kind of comfort food.
posted by Marlen @ Mimi�s: "I invite you to try this Cuban version. It is a favorite at our house. If you have leftover roasted pork, just shred it and use that instead of the ground pork."

Tamal en Cazuela (Cuban Tamale in a Pot)

1 lb. ground pork meat
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped olive oil for frying
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup red wine
2 cups ground fresh corn (may substitute frozen niblets)
one cup masa harina
3 cups water
Salt & pepper to taste
Juice of one lemon

Fry the pork in a little olive oil. Add onion and green pepper and continue frying at low heat until the onions are soft. Add garlic, tomato sauce and wine. Slice the corn kernels off of the cob (or use frozen corn). Grind the corn in a food processor until you get a coarse mixture. Remove from the processor and blend in one cup masa harina to the ground corn. Add 3 cups water to the corn mixture and blend well. Add this mixture to the meat and tomato sauce mixture in the pot. Blend in juice of one lemon. Cook on the stove top, stirring occasionally. The finished product should be thick and not runny. Approximately one hour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Andy's notes: I add a Tbs ground chili, a tsp of ground coriander and a tsp ground cumin, as well as a some hot sauce or some hot ground chilies, to the meat along with the onions and peppers. Turn heat down as it thickens to lessen the likelihood of it burning. I serve it with some grated Jack cheese on each serving and some corn chips on the side.

2015 Jul 8
Tonkotsu Ramen!

2015 Jul 8
I use pork (neck) bones to make a delicious broth. I got this recipe from a Vietnamese friend and it's the foundation of an excellent Hoanh Thanh (won ton) soup:

1. Microwave 5 dried squid (they're flat and about 3 inches long) on a plate for 30 seconds until puffy and very stinky.
2. Brown 5 thinly slice shallots in a couple tablespoons of oil.
3. Add 3 thick slices of fresh ginger, chopped, or smashed with the broad side of a cleaver to help release flavour.
4. Add 4 pork neck bones (ask for them at a butcher or just use whatever pork bones you can get).
5. Add the squid.
6. Add enough water to cover everything. Add some salt too... less than you think because you can add more later.
7. Pressure cook for half an hour or simmer for 2-3 hours.
8. Pull out all the chunky bits with a strainer. Discard.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper. A little sugar can add depth.
10. Add sesame oil, chopped scallions, and cilantro to taste.

2015 Jul 9
Andy This is why I love asking questions on ottawafoodies. I was thinking of soup when I was looking for broth ideas but that tamale in a pot sounds delicious! There's nothing like thinking outside the box! Thanks;)

Stewtine Great idea! I have never made ramen before but am keen to learn but it may have to wait until the fall when I have a little more time... Thanks for the idea though - I will add it to my bucket list!

Fresh Foodie That soup sounds intriguing but where do you buy dried squid?...

2015 Jul 9
On another note it occurred to me after posting this request I could use the pork broth for making lentil soup or bean soup. Looks like I am going to be doing quite a bit of cooking in the near future!

2015 Jul 9
Pasta lover, if only there were a website that could answer questions like that! :D :D :D

Dried Squid

2015 Jul 9
Fresh Foodie said "if only there were a website that could answer questions like that! :D :D :D". It's called ottawafoodies;)

Thanks for the link to dried squid! I will have to check out that Best Price Oriental Market.