Mochi Ice Cream [General]

2015 Jan 20
After reading butwhoami's review of the new ramen place on Somerset Street (Ginza) reminded me that I've been looking for the Mochi ice cream since having it at Ginza. Anyone know where to get it? I've been to Kowloon market as well as T & T recently and saw a few things in the freezer section that looked interesting but I don't think either had mochi ice cream.

Another tangental question about Ginza, is it normal for Ramen places to have so few options on their menu? Also, is Pork Belly the almost exclusive meat used in authentic Ramen soups? I know the concept is quickly in and out and small groups of people - i.e., one or two sitting at large tables with others BUT I think people here in Ottawa would order more appetizers, etc. if there were more options. When we venture to Somerset for a social type meal with friends we sometimes want to linger ... and have more variety to go more often and try other menu items (i.e., Ramen with other combo of meat/veg otpions).

2015 Jan 20
I think this is the most common type of mochi I've seen at T&T. Not sure if they have it at Kowloon. They are tiny and individually wrapped.

Pork belly is the most common but sometimes there are other options. Usually there are some other dishes you can get to accompany your ramen, for example: www.kintonramen.com/menu/

A nice little bowl of rice with meat or seafood is nice. Or karaage. Yumyum.

But yeah, the selection is usually limited.

2015 Jan 20
I want that mochi ice cream.

d00n pretty much handled it but I'll chime in anyway because I can't help myself -- pork belly is the traditional meat, but chicken (in a chicken broth ramen) isn't uncommon. Shops sometimes differentiate by preparing the pork differently-- char-grilled, buta-don style, etc, but in my experience it's usually that same cut unless it's a novelty-type bowl.

As for extra menu options, they're often there-- if I go for something it's usually gyoza, and as d00n mentioned there may be other izakaya-like options depending on the place-- but I generally order and see orders for the bowl alone. If anything, there may be a complimentary side of rice. If you want more stuff-- extra meat, eggs, veggies, etc-- it just gets added to the top of the bowl.

But you can see how ramen shops might adapt to the apps/sides/variety that North American diners might be looking for by just looking at how a chain like Ippudo sets up their menu in Japan (general idea here: www.ippudo.com) vs. NYC (with appetizers first: www.ippudony.com). As much as the food itself (and my own enjoyment of it) is tied to the ritual of in/out, alone or in small groups, no or occasional other dishes like you said, ramen shops opening here probably need to consider adapting accordingly. Thought I saw a handful of non-ramen options on Ginza's menu when I went, though to be honest I didn't look too closely.