Dinner recommendations near the Mayfair movie theatre [General]

2015 Jan 11
I go to film screenings at the Mayfair once a month (with the Ottawa Film Society). Since I work until 5:00 and showtime is at 7:00 so I usually end up at the Vietnamese Kitchen. I like their food, the price is right, and they can usually get me in and out fairly quickly. However I would like to expand my horizons and try some other restos in the area. I'm not too fussy about price or food at this point - just somewhere that can get me in and out in an hour-ish... Does anyone have any favourites in the area?

2015 Jan 11
If you have a Thursday OFS membership, try some perogies at House of Targ.

2015 Jan 11
Quinn's is pretty good but small and really popular so it can be hard to get a table. Down the road, Patty's Pub has the best veggie burger I've ever had, I think they call it the Nut Burger.

2015 Jan 11
i'm sure Taylor's could get you in and out quickly if you told them you had to be gone by a certain time.

2015 Jan 11
House of Targ (Thurs-Sunday, perogies and beer/excellent mixed drinks)
Quinn's (burgers / pizza both excellent)
Havana Cafe (are they open during the dinner hour?)

2015 Jan 12
Thanks for the suggestions so far. My screenings are on Tuesdays so I miss out on pierogies night at House of Targ. However I will keep it in mind if I am ever in the neighbourhood later in the week. In the meantime I will add Quinn's and Patty's Pub to my list. Good point about Havana Café - I hope someone can confirm their hours. From the reviews I've read their hours seem to be hit or miss.

2015 Jan 12
I have more to add. Barley Mow pub a few doors down from Quinns as well as the Siam Kiitchen. If you have a bus pass or walk fast you could go to Irene's Pub on Bank Street between Holmwood and Fifth Avenue or Arrow and the Loon on Bank at Fifth avenue. Other options around there is the Indian place Shafali Bazzar (specifically for their chicken tikka wrap made with fresh naan bread) or Wild Oat for their hot items like Dhal soup, veg lasagne as well as salads on the bakery side or other items (crepes and sandwishes) on their restaurant side. A lot of good choices, can't go wrong with many bad places, they wouldn't last with the high rents, etc.

2015 Jan 12
flexie Those are all great suggestions. I live downtown and plan on walking from the Bank/Gladstone area to the Mayfair. Even though I shop in the Glebe periodically I got a complete brain cramp and could only think of Zazzazza and Kettleman's. I like Shafali Bazaar and keep forgetting they have a resto in the Glebe... I will make note of your suggestions.

2015 Jan 12
Whole Foods has great pizza, salads, sushi and hot buffet and a place to sit and eat it. Would be good for variety / portion control / etc

2015 Jan 12
AD_2 Thanks! I was wondering if Whole Foods sold prepared meals and had a place to sit. They do at the Toronto location but I haven't made it to their Lansdowne store yet-;) The feedback is appreciated.

2015 Jan 13
Siam Kitchen two short blocks North is some of the best value-for-dollar Thai in the city.

Agree that Quinn's next door is great but getting a seat when the patio is closed can be iffy. Barley Mow acros the street from Quinn's is a wholly solid replacement if you're feeling pub.

Taylor's is awesome, but give yourself enough time, not because they can't turn it around quickly (they totally can) but because it's too good a meal to rush.

Havana Cafe does dinner and got their booze license in the last year or so. I'm a fan. A few mojitos make most movies even better.

The weather outside is frightful but the chip truck across the street from the Mayfair is almost worth the frostbite. ...or just a good option for when the air stops hurting.

2015 Jan 13
Thanks! I have definitely put Siam Kitchen/Quinn's/Patty's Pub on my list and will add Barley Mow and Havanna Café. You have confirmed my thoughts about Taylors - even if they "could" get me in and out fairly quickly I would prefer to wait when I am not quite so rushed. I will also add the chip truck to my list. The OFS screenings end in May so in a couple of months when it is not quite so cold I can tie in a trip there.

2015 Jan 13
We're also OFS members (Wednesday) and have often gone to the Siam Kitchen before the films. When the weather gets nicer, the Urban Cowboy food truck will be another good option. We've also gone there a number of times before heading to the Mayfair.

2015 Jan 13
"... When the weather gets nicer, the Urban Cowboy food truck will be THE BESTEST THING EVER!!!!! option. We've also gone there a number of times before heading to the Mayfair."

Fixed that for you. :)

2015 Jan 13
Inkling When the weather is nicer the Urban Cowboy is near the Mayfair?!? Where do they park?... I had seasons tickets to the Ottawa Redblacks last summer and the Urban Cowboy truck was at the tailgate party during the first few games. I made a point of getting a Belcher Burger every single time they were there.

OSoloMeal Agreed on the correction - Urban Cowboy is definitely awesome-;)

2015 Jan 13
The Urban Cowboy was at Bank and Belmont, a block south of Sunnyside and across the street from the Mayfair. I assume (and hope) they will be at the same spot this year.

2015 Jan 14
Thanks Inkling! When the weather gets nicer I will keep my eyes peeled for them. In the meantime I went to my first screening of the new year last night and decided to go to Shafali Bazaar. Review to follow...