Beer store's sweetheard deal with the LCBO revealed [Booze]

2014 Dec 9
That deal was a truly a brilliantly simple and ingenious approach to keeping both monopolies happy as pigs in an overflowing grainbin. We owe so much to Mike Harris, we can't thank him enough. What he wouldn't do to make us beer drinkers live happily ever after...maybe we should also thank Dalton for continuing the deal to keep us all deliriously swooning in our cups.

Going down to the beer cellar to find a worthy pint to hoist one up their...

2014 Dec 9
And yet Ontarians will keep voting for the people who perpetuate this crap. Unbelievable.

2014 Dec 9
A humble request that the government allow the LCBO stores to sell beer in the same amounts (4x6=24, 2x6=12) and at the same prices as the Beer Store should be suggested. This would show us if the consumer preferred to shop at the LCBO by levelling the playing field somewhat. Not allowing it would show how deep the influence is of the The Beer Store.

2014 Dec 9
If only there was a one-issue election.

2014 Dec 10
We need more referendums! The ruling parties aren't interested in that though, because they prefer having total control once they win an election. Who wouldn't?

And don't get me started on the archaic human rights disaster that is the existence of publicly funded Catholic schools. *That* needs an effing referendum. Only the Greens are willing to even acknowledge the problem.

2014 Dec 10
Government and big business colluding to gouge the consumer, as well as limit sales of smaller, more quality oriented brewers' product... blah.

2014 Dec 10
Not coincidentally, not only are the Greens the only ones willing to tackle the human rights disaster which is our Catholic School system, they are also the only ones willing to fix the way alcohol is sold in this province.

In fact the Greens developed their alcohol policy by consulting with small breweries and distillers in the province. I happen to know the person who wrote the first draft (a local Ottawa homebrewer)

2014 Dec 11
Now before the federal competition bureau

www.thestar.com

2014 Dec 11
The people who send their kids to catholic school pay taxes towards that board, I'd much rather pay for catholic school than have my tax money go towards welfare payments for the tens of thousands of lazy gobshites who get a free ride in this province...or the people who go to the doctor to get a note to take a few days off work and clog up our healthcare system.

2014 Dec 11
False Dichotomy, mark it.

www.nizkor.org

2014 Dec 12
Since 1998, 2/3 of education costs do not come from the directed property taxes.

www.northernlife.ca
cripeweborg.netfirms.com

2014 Dec 12
More on the legal action - hopefully this will get very interesting :

"The action demands $1.4-billion in general damages, alleging the defendants engaged in “conspiracy, intentional interference with economic interests” and conduct that is contrary to the Competition Act. The claim also demands $5-million in “punitive and exemplary damages.”"

www.theglobeandmail.com

2014 Dec 13
STuart: Personally I am very glad my money goes to our healthcare system. Otherwise I would be dead 4 times over in my 26 years in this province.

2014 Dec 13
If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing

2014 Dec 13
www.cbc.ca

I don't know if this link will work or not but it has to do with doctors in Nova Scotia and their take on the impact of writing sick notes for employees.

2014 Dec 14
We want to sell Ontario wines the LCBO doesn't want to carry. They chose to be out of a market and we want to be in it. No problem, right? Well, big problem. We can't. The Liberal Government has responded to a letter (finally after a year and a half) whereupon they say they are happy with the status quo. They don't want you to be able to sell beer and wine at "unapproved" places, i.e. ones they don't have control over. Scotch and other hard liquors are taxed at 151%, wine near 100%, not sure about beer. We're being gouged and no one, not a single Political party, is interested in fixing this problem. The LCBO is a Prohibition-era regulatory body - they don't want you to drink but they'll take the tax money if you do.

It's all a scam and we allow it to happen. If everyone told their MPP that they were not voting for them if they didn't do something about this, something would happen. Obviously not everyone will write, but even if quite a few did it, it would get them scared. If we, as a population, made this a campaign issue, they'd fix it. But we don't.

We could be getting our booze for about half the price if we'd just stand up to these extortionists. And we'd have a much healthier local industry (creating jobs, adding income to the tax revenues, etc.).

We've done two wine tasting at our butcher shop and are talking to the 15 or so local wineries to do more in the new year. They come, you taste and perhaps place an order, it's delivered to your house and you enjoy. We provide the meat and condiment to go with the tasting. It works but by the laws that exist, the winery can't sell you a bottle to take away with you - it has to be delivered. Why?