Looking for a Nice New-ish Restaurant in Ottawa [General]

2014 Jan 2
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are in a bit of a funk. We've tried many of Ottawa's restaurants and would like to go out to a nice one for my birthday. Our favourites include Wellington Gastropub, Play, Farbs, Murray Street, Allium and the like. We've been to these on countless occasions.

Question out to you, foodies, is this: Can you throw some ideas at me as to some new restaurants (say opened within the last two years), somewhere in the encatchment area of New Edinburgh to Westboro (although we're willing to travel for good food!) which we may not have tried? Older restaraunt suggestions also very welcome.

Thanks, foodies! Appreciate it!

Food-centric

2014 Jan 2
I had a really nice meal at Taylor's in Old Ottawa South. Probably one of the best I have had in Ottawa.

2014 Jan 2
Since you didn't mention it on your list, have you tried Gezellig? Seems it would be a logical choice given that you like Play (full disclosure: haven't been there myself but would still recommend it having been to both Play and Beckta, and also judging by the positive reviews on this site).

Other options... Town. on Elgin has not disappointed me yet. Oz, also on Elgin, is good.

And looking into the (hopefully) near future, "Fauna" is due to open up right across the street from Whalesbone, at Bank & Gladstone. I'll be excitedly trying that out ASAP.

Hope you find some fresh change for the new year.

2014 Jan 2
I've had 3 super lunches at Das Lokal on Dalhousie. Might want to look at their menu.
I find it hard to beat Allium, and agree with Sparrow Seed's comments...

I also love Back Lane.

2014 Jan 3
If you haven't been to Gezellig you MUST go - love this place! Taylor's Genuine at Bank and Sunnyside is also wonderful. You don't mention Fraser's which I always like.

2014 Jan 3
supply and demand is amazing!!

2014 Jan 4
union local 613 on Somerset near O'Connor.

2014 Jan 5
I have had tacos from the takeout window of El Camino countless times...always liked the food but hated the wait times. That said, you should check out the cocktails and pork bellies at the sit-down El Camino. The hipster vibe is belied by the ultra-friendly staff and kudos to the fantastic bar service.

2014 Jan 6
Seconder on supply and demand. If you haven't been - go!

2014 Jan 7
Thirding Gezellig.

Have also had some very enjoyable meals recently kit-corner at The Savoy.

2014 Jan 7
Gezellig would be my first choice and supply and demand 2nd choice

2014 Jan 11
Note: "And looking into the (hopefully) near future, "Fauna" is due to open up right across the street from Whalesbone, at Bank & Gladstone."

I read yesterday that the expected opening date (although he is loathe to give one again since several have slipped) is likely not until Feb. There's a nice write-up in the Ottawa Magazine restaurant supplement.