Ol' Grandad potato chips [Food/Vendor]

2013 Nov 14
Hi there people

I recently bought some bags of Ol' Grandad potato chips at a curling club in Ottawa. They were really great and I am looking for some to purchase at a regular grocery store. Anybody have any idea where I can buy them? It was suggested that Giant Tiger sold them, but I was my local GT and they were not selling them.

Regards
Marc

2013 Nov 14
I'm curious - what makes them so special?

2013 Nov 14
I've only seen them at GT recently. I'd suggest checking another GT.

2013 Nov 14
I like the BBQ flavour ones. It has just the right amount of BBQ spices on them, not too greasy like other chips, and very crispy. I have tried many other BBQ chips, but these are the best I tasted and are almost additive for me.

I will try some other GT stores to see if they have them. The one I went to was a GT Express and perhaps they don't carry all the different types of brands like a bigger GT store. Thanks Bobby.

2013 Nov 15
I'm pretty sure I've seen them at farm boy or sobeys. If Sobeys it may have been in the health food area - they have some good junk food there!

2013 Nov 17
The General Hospital "convenience store" or whatever you call the place that sells the newspaper and lotto tickets has sold these for a couple years and I saw some 2 weeks ago.

I know they had the larger bags and possibly snack size ones too?

And maybe,but not entirely sure but sounds like something Rideau Bakery on bank st might carry.

2013 Nov 17
Ah, there you go, that's where I'd seen them! Yes, they are at the tuck shop in the General.

2013 Nov 18
Also the "tuck shop" is cash only, as is also the cafeteria in that building.

2013 Nov 19
So I went to get some today to see what all the hub-bub was about. FYI they are on the chip rack near the back of the tuck shop, not the one near the front.

The BBQ ones were good - certainly better than Lays or some of the more generic brands.

Not as good as the Old Butch Mesquite BBQ they also sell there, though :-)

www.olddutchfoods.com

2013 Nov 19
I have never tried Grampas - BUT I often pick up Covered Bridge brand at Produce Depot. And they are Awesome!

You get that nice potato flavour that adds depth to the chip.

Chips as they were meant to be.

2013 Nov 20
Covered Bridge chips! All the way from Hartland, New Brunswick where they make the most potatoes in the world.

I can't disagree with you there. Best chips there is.

2013 Nov 20
Covered Bridge are good - we toured the factory 2 summers ago

2013 Nov 22
Since this thread had me craving the subtle bbq flavour of Ol Grandad's, I swung into GT on my way home and snagged a bag. I just opened them and much to my surprise, they are now rippled! I'm generally more a fan of rippled chips, but this is the first time I've had Ol Grandad's that are rippled. I wonder when they changed...and how long since my last sampling...Either way, not much has changed. Definitely a unique, subtle bbq flavour. Nothing really jumps out, but nothing really lacking. Good chip, I say.

2013 Nov 22
Yet, salt and vinegar are not rippled...no difference in bag labelling...hmmm

2013 Nov 26
If you like "chips" also check out Natural Food pantry.
I know at the Billings Bridge store they have some pretty different chips- there is one brand made in England even.

-I forget the name of the brand,have not bought them lately.

Bulk Barn also has some different chips- I bought some cooked in olive oil a few weeks ago!
-if you go to Bulk Barn check their website, often there is a $3 off 10 coupon you can print :)