Vegan Sugar [General]

2013 Oct 15
Does anyone know where to buy vegan sugar? The topic came up yesterday at a meal with some friends. She was using a vegan recipe that called for "vegan sugar" and couldn't source it anywhere. She said something about there being vegan icing sugar, vegan brown sugar, etc. Apparently sugar is processed with charcoal or something and charcoal is made with bones, ... She isn't acutally vegan just can't have dairy but she wanted to try following the recipe to the T and couldn't ...

2013 Oct 15
Contact Auntie Loo's and ask?

2013 Oct 15
Most cane sugars that are less processed are vegan. Go to any health store (Herb and Spice, Rainbow, etc) and it'll be there.

Some brands are well known for not using bone char filters.

Personally...I ain't that vegan. I don't bother calling the City to ask if their water filters are animal free either.

2013 Oct 16
What if the sugar cane is brought in from the fields using animals that are kept in slavery .... as opposed to using tractors ?

2013 Oct 16
Anyway, tractors burn fuel, which is made with bones. :P

2013 Oct 16
Oooo! Is this getting into the ever-entertaining "Do vegans drive cars?" territory? I love that argument.. ;)

2013 Oct 16
Haha.. I've never had that argument. I just like poking holes in ideologies. Things are always more complicated than they seem. :-)

2013 Oct 16
I can't believe I actually know this, since I'm far from Vegan, but Turbinado sugar (any grocery store) and Sucanat brand sugar (health food stores - least processed sugar out there) are both vegan.

I use a steel cut oat recipe on this vegan website and she uses Sucanat and talks about it incessantly in all her recipes with sugar...