Organic/free-range turkeys still available? [General]

2013 Oct 8
I know this is super last minute, but does anyone know any farmers or stores that are still taking orders for reasonably priced organic/free-range turkeys, fresh or frozen? I would need one by Thursday to bring home as I just got tasked with Thanksgiving "lunch" early in the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

2013 Oct 8
If the "/" is an or, try Farmboy, as they have been bringing some kind of free range turkeys under their store label the last couple of years. I don't think they were organic.

2013 Oct 9
I know lots of farmers who grew organic pasture raised turkeys this season, but specialty items like this tend to sell out in the spring. Most I know won't grow many birds past the number of confirmed-by-deposit orders they receive from customers.

It can be hard to get your head around it, but start hunting and gathering your turkey in the spring. There are LOTS of local food lists out there, and I'm sure there is a thread or two already started on this site where you can discover farms that raise turkey.

And you already know what I think about 'reasonably' priced, Paleomom, lol! For the farmer, reasonably priced means expenses and labour covered, which to most people means 'expensive'. ;-)

If organic pasture raised birds are out of the budget, then try Farm Boy as sourdough suggested, or Lyon's Turkey Farm, as they sell to many stores. But they are not organic or pasture raised.

2013 Oct 9
Brian's Butcher on Iris has organic etc turkeys, not sure if it's too late to get one - would call ASAP if you are still looking.

2013 Oct 9
Some interesting stats.....there are 185 turkey farmers (big factory) in ONT and on average they raise 45,000 turkeys a year!

2013 Oct 9
Since I posted ambiguous info - here the info from the Farm Boy flyer:

-----begin ad ------------------
"Our turkeys are free run and raised on the generations-old Hayter family farm in Dashwood, Ontario where they’ve been using humane farming methods for more than 60 year. This Thanksgiving, count on Farm Boy for premium quality and the very best taste.

Farm Boy Farm Fresh Turkey
fresh, grade A, $2.49/lb"
-----end ad-----------------------

Regular fresh turkeys from one of the other 185 farms is 1.99/lbs.

2013 Oct 10
Ivan's Deli in Stittsville has free range fresh turkey's. I believe the sign said $3.49/lb...pricy, but an option. No word on whether or not they are European. That would explain the premium. $3.49/lb is a steal for a Euro Turkey.