Best place for tapas [Food/Vendor]

2013 Sep 17
My sister is coming over for a few days during her reading week, and I was looking forward to finally try Monday night tapas at Allium.

However, it turns out it will be Thanksgiving Monday and Allium will be closed.

Is there another really good place we can go for tapas (not necessarily on Monday)?

I have already tried Must and Lyon Tapas bar and I am looking for some place better.

Thank you all in advance!

Marie-Eve

2013 Sep 17
El Meson does tapas on Thursday nights now. Haven't been to tapas night, but it's a very nice, if somewhat formal restaurant. Recently changed ownership, but was always muy authentico.

2013 Sep 17
Hungry Pete : Too bad I am not available on that day! But I will keep it in mind for the future.

Small plates and mezes would be an alternative, but we've already tried Town and Play Food and Wine.

2013 Sep 17
10 fourteen in Westboro has Tapas style menu.

Le Cafe at NAC also has tapas style dinner (8$ each)

2013 Sep 17
There's a neat list of tapas restos at this link: www.urbanspoon.com

For le Cafe, I think their 8 for 8 menu was only for the summer, foodieprints.com I would suggest calling ahead to check if they still have it or something for the fall. It was pretty good:)

2013 Sep 18
navarrarestaurant.com/ navarra always has great food, but it's pricey....but really good.

supply and demand does really good small plate service. my fav spot at the moment. very reasonable pricing too.

i disagree about 10 fourteen, heard VERY bad reviews.

2013 Sep 18
222 Lyons Tapas was good last time I was there...but that was a few years ago. Maybe someone has a more recent impression of the restaurant.

2013 Sep 18
I used to like 222 Lyon a lot and goes 2-3 times a month but have not for a couple of year due to a not so good experience.

I went there on a holiday monday in May when I was doing a slight detour and found them open. Ordered scallop and another tapas and found the scallop not tasting fresh. Later heard the chef talking to staff that the fridge freezer was broken while they were closed so everything is now on ice. They were closed the Sunday so they were last open on Saturday. I had already eaten and piad but was finishing my drink so asked the young girl that was staffed for lunch if the scallop was fresh that day. She said it was not which means the scallop was there at least from Saturday and I was not sure if it was affected by the fridge breakdown, etc.

If I had known about it, I would have taken other tapas than scallop which need to be absolutely fresh. This gave me a bad feeling since they were more concerned about potential loss then informing a frequent customer pertainent information.

I have not been back since.

2013 Sep 19
I would suggest The Albion Rooms too. They have a tonne of small plates that constantly change on their menu and their charcuterie board is great bang for your buck.

Do keep in mind however, that as long as they keep that absolutely AMAZING scotch egg on their menu, I cannot stray far from praising them :P

2013 Sep 20
FoodTravel, you're so lucky...every time something happens to you at a restaurant, or food event, you always get to overhear something that helps you to prove your point about why it wasn't good!

2013 Sep 20
Stuart,

I was sitting at the bar and it was mid-afternoon so very few people there.

The server was the younger blond girl at day shift and the other more experienced and customer oriented server did not show up till 4:30 or 5pm for her shift.

I was lingering with the drink at the bar and relaxing since I did not have to cook. The owner semi regularly and a couple of times the chef at slow times sit at the other side of the U shape bar near the window. The chef came out and chatted with the owner and they probably forgot I was there. With dining alone, there are no ongoing conversations I am involved in so while not intentionally trying to overhear their conversation, they were speaking loud enough for me to hear.

Things happens and it is how they deal with the issues that determines if there is good service or if there are problems.

2013 Sep 25
marie-eve, maybe check out the Moon Room or Two Six {Ate} on Preston? They have munchies and small plates that are quite good (Moon Room is a step up from Two Six {Ate} in my opinion).

2013 Oct 11
Ya, Moonroom is awesome!!!