Glee restaurant not happy about Red Roosters Location [General]

2013 Jul 27
I had never even heard of this restaurant and when I checked OF for reviews Ken V was the only person who made any comments on the place.

Kinda sad they are resorting to this kind of thing instead of trying to capitalize when they run out of food...and, or, differentiating themselves from a food truck. The whole time I was thinking the same thing the Red Roaster owner said about the cost of the truck and what he didn't say - specifically that the winter won't be as kind to the food truck scene.

www.ottawacitizen.com

2013 Jul 28
Ooooo, "Glebe" restaurant owner!

THis is really just pathetic. There are a lot of people who love food trucks and would never go into his restaurant. Or any other for that matter. I'm one of those people - I go to a food truck once or twice a month but a restaurant maybe once or twice a year. That's got nothing to do with the trucks "stealing" my business from the restaurants. It's just my personal preference. And I'm really looking forward to having more options for food trucks.

2013 Jul 28
There is more discussion about this in the food truck thread. There is also a letter posted on the restaurant website.

IMO - the restaurant owner comes off as whiny.

~ the city. BIA, etc didn't directly inform him.
~ It was in a newsletter that he skimmed.
~ He was too busy getting married to pay attention to the issue.
~His wife is pregnant so again no time to pay attention

and on and on

2013 Jul 28
The owner of Farm Team Cookhouse is his own worst enemy. Instead of garnering sympathy and support, he did exactly the opposite. He should have simply stated that the food truck has negatively impacted his and other area restaurants. He then, as a rate paying member of the BIA, should have solicited the support of said organization in finding a solution. You would hope that the City would then look into the economic impact on bricks and mortar restaurants of this particular space. Should the City find that the spot takes trade away from those established restaurants then they should not offer the location as an option next year.

2013 Jul 29
What Tree Pug said. Just be fair with one another.

If I remember my Economics 101, it's supply and demand. If people prefer the food on a nearby food truck then good for them. Perhaps you are serving the wrong menu for the area? Mostly, though, I see food trucks as a different segment of the market from restaurants. I don't see them as competition so much as complimentary.

Tommy's Chip Wagon is in front of my location. He has been there for years. I am constantly asked, "Are you going to apply to have the food truck moved?" No. I wouldn't dream of it. Tommy and his wife are great people with a great little business. Great Polish sausage, by the way. My hope is that opening The Flying Banzini will simply bring more people to the corner that that we will make each other busier (along with The Wood across the street, Petite Bill's, Foolish Chicken, The Table, etc etc etc). Yes we compete but we are also in it together, I think.

2013 Jul 29
While I used to drive down to the market, downtown or Elgin area when I want a nice meal, last year or two I have been increasingly driving down to Wellington and now Richmond too.

I live in a totally different area but willing to drive the 20+ mins for good food. Admitedly the BIA sponsored food festival encouraged me to try more restaurants in the area and then I return to restaurants I like.

I wonder how many new food trucks will thrive and if some will falter. Winters in northern climates are not kind to food trucks. Red Fish Blue Fish in Victoria closes down end of October and does not open again still spring I think. I can see summer having much more customers than winter in Ottawa so winter will test some of the borderline food trucks.

2013 Jul 29
I just wonder how is the food at Red Roaster. Never tried it.