Most awesome turkey soup [Cooking]

2007 Sep 9
I just whipped up this one up to use up some of the veggies from our CSA, and the broth from the turkey carcass I pressure-cooked this morning. It takes a few hours to cook down a carcass in a regular pot, but only about a half hour in a pressure cooker. And for good measure I tossed in some of the roasted red peppers that I made this morning but I've never put those in my soup before (since I've never made them before)

* 2 litres turkey broth and pieces from boiling (pressure cooking) and separating a carcass from an 11 lb turkey
* about 1.5 cups chopped carrots (CSA)
* about 1.5 cups chopped onion (CSA)
* 1 tablespoon garlic scape goop (see note)
* one turnip/rutabaga chopped (CSA, about softball sized)
* 3 stalks celery (market)
* 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
* 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tablespoon rosemary
* 1 litre water

Put the broth/turkey parts into a medium (5 L) pressure cooker. Fry the onions, celery and garlic scape goop in frying pan until tender, then add to cooker. Add spices and rest of chopped veggies. Bring pressure cooker up to 15 psi and cook for 13 minutes.

Note : "garlic scape goop". Garlic scapes are the tops/flowers that garlic growers cut off early in the year so that the energy of the growth in the plant will go into the root. We get them from our CSA and just buzz them up in the food processor with some olive oil. Then we store the "goop" in a jar in the fridge.

Turkey broth from a deep-fried turkey is especially yummy! But even if you did not deep fry your bird there is always a very good pot of soup hiding in that carcass. Waste not, want not!

Oh, dang, is it yummy! The only thing missing is a bit of cabbage, but I didn't have any. Guess if I'd been thinking of it I should have picked some up at the market at the end of the street, when I was buying the celery.

And of course it needed a few splashes of Frank's Red Hot in the bowl ...