ready to bake croissants [General]

2012 Sep 30
My niece was reminiscing about the pastries in Paris from their last trip there and said that is the only thing she missed from there.

Bringing that back is not really practical and the croissants and pain au chocolate I have tried so far in Ottawa are not up to Parisian level. The only ones I had that are close to them are from Premiere Moisson in Montreal and at brunch at Annone restaurant in the Park Hyatt Toronto.

The places that sell PM bread and croissants in Ottawa are not to the same level since they do not bake them enough. I heard that PM sell them frozen (not sure if at retail level) and so does Fidelice in Hull. Have anyone tried the ready to bake from those two places and if so what do you think. Wondering if that is an option to get really good fresh croissant in Ottawa..

2012 Sep 30
I was told that the frozen pain au chocolate from Au Pain Dore in Montreal are awesome. I have baked them here to rave reviews.

2012 Oct 1
There's an actual PM coming to the new social sciences building at the UofO, I'm not sure if it's open yet or not. (Not according to the PM website).

Have you been to Macarons et Madeleines? I've heard lots of good things but sadly didn't make it before I left Ottawa.

2012 Oct 1
PB&A,

I have been to the Macarons et Madeleines but only made it there in the afternoon. The croissant and pain and chocolate was good but croissant was a tad crunchier than I liked and not as flaky/melt in your mouth as I liked. The pain au chocolate was more than decent but not to Parisian standard either nor as good as I have had with PM in Montreal or Annone in Toronto.

Not sure if it would have been closer if I was able to get it in the am, espeically soon after it comes out of the oven.

Another issue is that is not that near my normal places to go or directly enroute so tend to be a detour for me. With them being a smaller operations, if I cannot make it early, they can run out of something I want. I know I have purchased the last of something before.

Also with my niece living in the west end and going to UofO, even if I buy some, chances of me getting them to her right away are slim. Thus was thinking if I can buy some good ready to bake ones and find the recipe to bake them properly, I can give her the frozen pastry and she can bake them herself when she wants them.

uhmm interesting news about PM in Ottawa. Checked the website and saw it listed.
Anyone know it has opened or not?

2012 Oct 1
Tree Pug,

Did you buy them when you were on a trip on Montreal? what size packages do they come it? Not sure how larger her freezer is lol.

2012 Oct 1
I have boight them at multiple locations in Montreal. I usually buy them six at a time but they are available by the dozen. If you do buy a bag, think about bringing some small ziploc bags to separate them into. Even with an icey cooler, some minimumum thawing/ freezing can cause them to stick together.

2012 Oct 1
You can get frozen croissants (from France) at Grace in the Kitchen & Serious Cheese. Best croissants that ever came out of my oven... I'd feel good serving them to anyone. 6 for $9 last I checked.

2012 Oct 1
uhmmm FF, that sound interesting.

lol the effort of finding a good one is more than the cost lol...