Jalapeņo poppers [General]

2012 Jun 25
I decided that I wanted some jalapeņo poppers so here's what we did: we cored 8 peppers, stuffed them with about a half pound of fried Krusty Brand ground pork (delicious) mixed with 2 Tbsps of cream cheese. We then wrapped them in Glebe Meat Market bacon and cooked them on the Egg indirectly at 300F for about an hour. They were delicious! The big issue was the jalapeņos. My girlfriend could eat only half of one because of the heat of the pepper. I ate a few and they were fine but when I ate her leftover, wow! It was crazy hot. Is there anyway to tell how hot some jalapeņos are before I serve them up and kill someone? ;-)

2012 Jun 25
Sorry, not really. The heat can be affected by growing conditions, sun, water etc.

You could always sub a different type of pepper, (Banana, Cubanelle, Poblano) for the jalapeno.

And just checking, did you make sure to remove all of the seeds and veins? They carry a lot of the heat.

2012 Jun 25
Cored to perfection.

2012 Jun 25
Even from the same plant I find that jalapeņos vary a fair bit from pepper to pepper--this is part of the reason that serranos are the go-to green chile in Mexico--they are much more consistent in heat level.

I have not had much luck guessing heat level by the physical appearance--some say that ones with more wrinkles on them are hotter, but few of the ones I find up here have said wrinkles.

De-veining/de-seeding will help. I also take a wee nibble near the top to judge spiciness chile-by-chile. Nibbling at the tip seems less reliable.

2012 Jun 25
Sorry but I'm having trouble taking this thread seriously ... see if you can catch the quote :-)

"So can I get you gentlemen something more to drink? Or maybe something to nibble on? Some Pizza Shooters, Shrimp Poppers, or Extreme Fajitas? "

2012 Jun 25
Ahh, OS, one of my favourite movies of all time!

2012 Jun 25
"PC Load Letter? What the **** does that mean?"

2012 Jun 25
Sorry, I thought this was going to be another ad/post about the POP UP PATIOS!