Cool Soup for the Heat Wave [General]

2007 Jul 24
Yummy! I made a Gazpacho with Avocado Cream for my restaurant's soup special today and it turned out super duper. I thought I'd share the recipe since were heading into a heatwave. Amounts are approximate since I didn't measure as I made it - just made it up as I went along:

GAZPACHO:
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, skinned and de-seeded
2 red bell pepper
1/4 of a sweet white onion
8oz bread
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
16 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 dash of tabasco
Salt and Pepper

Chopped Parsley, for garnish

1) Blitz the tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic in a blender
2) Pass through a wide-holed sieve/chinacap
3) Blitz the bread in a blender, add the veg mixture back in, add oil, vinegar, honey, tabasco and blitz again
4) Salt and pepper to taste and let chill

AVOCADO CREAM:
2 avocados
2 limes
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp mayo
Heavy cream to taste/consistency
Salt and Pepper

1) Blend avocados, lime juice, sour cream and mayo in blender or food processor.
2) Add heavy cream until desired consistency (ie: Able to be drizzled/dolloped, but not so thin it will sink in the gazpacho)
3) Salt and Pepper to taste

Serve Gazpacho chilled in bowls, drizzle avocado cream on top. Top with a cherry tomato wedge and chopped parsley.

2007 Jul 25
Mmmm... that sounds good HOT! Unfortunately I'm 'bach-ing' it for a few days, and will likely not be making full meal items like this just for myself. Too bad I don't know where to get this pre-made... ;-)

2007 Jul 25
Ha ha nice try. I'm excited; we sold out of it during lunch today because it was so popular Yay - I love the feeling of MY actual food being served in a restaurant. Sure it's ok to serve stuff from the menu and stuff, but when I actually get to create a special and it sells well, it's very satisfying.

2007 Jul 25
Congrats, FiH! I just read the recipe carefully and it looks top notch -- I especially like the touch of honey in the gazpacho. If your recipe is representative of the regular menu, I want to see the rest!

2007 Jul 26
Thank you FiH! I tried this last night and it was lovely. The red pepper really perked up the colour into a gorgeous deep orange. I unfortunately did not have any avocado, so just drizzled on the lime/mayo mixture which still made it look very nice. I will try it again with the avocado next time!