quality low-fat/sodium chicken stock in Ottawa? [Cooking]

2007 Jul 19
Hello again.

Another request as I try to cook a nice healthy meal for a change...

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to buy low-fat and/ or low sodium chicken stock. I would prefer to buy the frozen kind, but if anyone knows of a higher quality canned stock I could live with that too.

I know I can make chicken stock on my own but I confess I never do. I tend to use the cubes for everyday cooking or buy it from Aubrey's for good meals. Obviously I could get Campbells healthy request broths but would prefer to skip that if I can.

BTW, I wish I would have found this site sooner. Its great!

Cheers

2007 Jul 19
As far as I know, most chicken stocks in general will be lower fat anyways as the fat gets skimmed off the top.

You could try Saslove's on Wellington. They make their own stocks and you can purchase them either frozen or just liquid in containers- from what I remember there is little salt added. You could also try the tetra packs of the organic/free-range chicken broths that you can find at Herb and Spice or the "organic section" at most Superstores. I doubt they are lower in salt than anything else out there, but I feel they are better quality than canned. They also make a "non-chicken" chicken broth in the same tetra packs that I enjoy which can easily be substituted easily for chicken broth (and always makes me feel healthier for eating my veggies lol).

2007 Jul 19
They have frozen stock (various kinds I think) at the Glebe Meat Market. I've never tried it, but their quality in everything I've tried there has been most excellent. For either low sodium, or low fat, I'd almost recommend just using more water. If the fat content is too high when you thaw it, just skim it off. (Side topic, I bought lamb shoulder for a stew there last week, and the stew turned out AWESOME!!! The lamb was well trimmed, with almost no tendon at all (there was very little final trimming for me to do))

2007 Jul 19
Thanks for all the help!