Liberte Cottage Cheese, the best?! [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jan 27
I eat of lot of cottage cheese, so yummy. I'm finding Liberte is a great brand. I've tried No Name, Nordic and possibly some others which I can't recall now (for a reason).

I like *firm* and large curds, even irregular large curds mixed in, with lots of whey, and the 2% Liberte seems to deliver as best I can find for something easily available. I get mine at Farm Boy. The Super Store carries Liberte Yoghurt (which is also awesome) and Sour Cream, but not cottage cheese.

EDIT link to yummy cottage cheese www.liberte.ca

2012 Feb 1
Have you tried Damafro?

2012 Feb 1
Sounds likes you might like Western's stuff.

www.westerncreamery.com

I tried it a couple weeks ago (bought at Westboro Superstore) and didn't like it because it was kinda like your description (I'm a fan of just the opposite!)

2012 Feb 5
I luuuuuv cottage cheese! It's been a while since I've bought it (when I used to buy it, I always got Nordic because that's all the store in my area carried at the time), but I tried making my own recently! It was really neat!

I too prefer a larger curd (with irregular curds as well), but I haven't gotten the curds to just the right size yet. I forget that when I drain the whey from the curd they shrink a bit.

It's a very simple cheese recipe for a novice like me, or anyone else who might want to try making a basic cheese. :-)

I knew I had done it right even the first time I made it, when my kids exclaimed "Mom, that looks like the stuff kids at school eat in their lunches!" My kids have never had store cottage cheese. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. ;-)

2012 Feb 5
Am I only one thinks that Cottage Cheese has no taste at all? I've tried all the brands mentioned here, 1% and 2%, no taste!
Good chunk of protein tho but I want to eat something I can taste, any suggestions?

2012 Feb 5
Is it Western that makes a 4% model? That stuff rocks, especially on baked potatoes (instead of sour cream).

2012 Feb 6
This thread makes me want to buy cottage cheese for the first time in a long time.

I developed a taste for plain cottage cheese years back in university when I was on the dairy tasting team. i also developed a taste for butter and strong cheddar!

2012 Feb 7
well,I am New User 4526, I see what you are saying about flavour, but for me cottage cheese has more to do with texture and mouthfeel as opposed to flavour. Cottage Cheese compared to a nice cheddar, would certainly be tasteless!

And as much as I can scarf down huge bowls of plain cottage cheese with a dash of salt, I also tend to use it more as base for whatever else I'm eating. Like on melba toast with fresh garden chives, or topped with peaches and cinnamon, or in a casserole, etc.