Local Porkavore Class [General]

2012 Jan 17
In my quest to find new and interesting food classes to take I checked out the Lcbo website(Lcbo Learn, Cooking Classes) and found two great classes for tonight and tomorrow night, both with PORK components. Tonight is Jason Laurin from Essence Catering doing his Hearty Soups and Stews(see ham hock and wild boar!!!!!!) and the Wednesday class is Philip Wood, who I have seen before and really enjoyed who's doing a "Fine Swine" class ALL PORK!!!!!!!! Including a glazed pork belly dish YAY!. Called the Lcbo, both classes are sold out, booooooo. Next week there's an Indian class and a Southern style class.

2012 Jan 20
I'm brand new to Ottawa foodies and I attended the local Porkavore Class.
The menu was the chef's version of Chinatown BBQ pork, which was better than many I've had, served with his version of a duck sauce- extra delicious! He did a pork tenderloin and pork sirloin chops this way, but also provided a recipe for the Pork Belly version.
Next was a sweet and sour slow roasted pork shoulder that he did with some kind of citrus "marmalade". I have to admit I wasn't really looking forward to it, but I was blown away by the complex flavour and that the pork came through so well. He served it on a grilled naan thing with a red pepper, green pepper, grilled green onion and tangy sandwich dill relish(?) salsa, which was great addition that I wouldn't have thought of.
Finally, because we needed more food, raised eyebrow, was the slow roasted pork belly with a Dr Pepper glaze(WTF?) and bacon roasted brussel sprouts with rice krispies. The chef admitted that the brussel sprouts were taken from one of his favourite chefs and that he just changed the dressing and added bacon. Again, I was worried until I tried it and I was absolutely blown away. It was delicious! Over half the class had never had pork belly before, and many said that they didn't like brussel sprouts before that. Everyone had a great night.
Chef Phil was really entertaining and the class was advertised as sample sized servings, but we got more that a full meal. The wine matching was really great too. I'm signing up for his duck class in a week and a half.

2012 Jan 22
Welcome to the site! And CURSE YOU for making me hungry so soon after breakfast ;)

The Dr. Pepper glaze sounds perfect for pork belly. It sounds like it'd be very similar to a Chinese preparation, only from the Deep South.

If all of the LCBO classes are this awesome I may have to take a couple...