A place to buy local turkey Ottawa, On [Food/Vendor]

2011 Dec 22
Looking for a place to buy a locally raised turkey. Needs to be busable in Ottawa, ON. THANKS!

2011 Dec 22
Saslove's on Wellington sells organic hormone free fresh turkeys, but not sure if they are local. Not sure if they will have any left as they normally want preorders, but I'd give them a call.

2011 Dec 22
Last time I got one from Saslove's on Wellington, it was local, there was a tag on it with the name and address of the farm it came from. I did pre-order. May not be too late to reserve one. But I suggest you go early to pick it up as I seem to remember them using categories like small medium and large. We pre-ordered a small one as we were a small group, possibly thanksgiving, can't remember right now, and all they had left in the small ones were on the larger end of small. We thought it was funny at the time when we were calculating the cooking time, etc. as we were a small group (may 5 adults) but somehow it all got eaten ...! Yum! Only 3 more sleeps ...

2011 Dec 22
And the last time I got a large, it was well over a hundred bucks.

2011 Dec 23
Thank you. I hope they have some small ones left.....

2011 Dec 23
The Piggy Market also has local turkeys - local non organic and organic. I believe they start at $4.25/lb. I don't know whether they have any left.

2011 Dec 23
Melanie: I tried Saslove's on Wellington yesterday and they didn't have any small turkeys left. They had a large turkey breast (it was about 10lbs) but it was going for about $8-9 a pound.

I ordered a small, fresh, grain-fed turkey from Sausage Kitchen yesterday...they might be another option, given that the small turkeys have been ordered out by just about all of the usual places that I would check.

2011 Dec 24
Thank you! Found one ;-) now to cook it tomorrow. Merry Christmas.

2011 Dec 28
Ferme Saveurs des Monts in Hull should have local turkey and chicken year round.
You can buy their products in some stores in Hull or through the MRSO food co-op.

You just take the #8 bus to get to the co-op location (s).

I know it is too late for that now, but might be useful to know for some other time.