Buy Your Beau’s Online Shut Down [General]

2011 Nov 24
That’s right, after less than a day of operation, BYBO has been closed, after another brewery (we weren’t told which one) complained.

beausbeer.blogspot.com

:(

2011 Nov 24
Boo!

2011 Nov 24
Deserves a message with the link to your local MPP. Just complete nonsense.

2011 Nov 24
The effing Liberals don't want to do anything about it. Though maybe now that they have so few seats they might act. Somewhere around here I have a letter from McGuinty about it ...

2011 Nov 24
Yeah, but usually it's just beer geeks whining about lack of choice. A local brewery with serious street cred and a respected charity getting shafted? Noisy Ottawans and an active press can make a real story about this.

2011 Nov 24
I just hope he makes it about more than just a delivery service. I sent him email to that effect. Brewers need the right to open a damned store whereever they please.

2011 Nov 24
The Citizen already has it as the top story on its site.

www.ottawacitizen.com

2011 Nov 25
Time to buzz your MPP.
Ask not what beer can do for you, but what YOU can do for beer!

Btw, AGCO = Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario...

www.agco.on.ca

Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
90 Sheppard Avenue East
Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M2N 0A4

customer.service@agco.ca

2011 Nov 25
FoodiePrints posted the following in their blog, its a good form letter:

However, knowing the people behind Beau's and the good work they do for the community, a witch hunt for the brewery is likely not what they intended. If you want to target your outrage, may we suggest following the example of our friend Matt Leduc and write to your MPP to enact a regulation, as per the Liquor License Act of Ontario, to remedy the situation. Here is a letter Matt put together:
Dear MPP ___ [mine is Yasir Naqvi]

I have heard disturbing news that the collaborative project that Operation Come Home has spent months organizing with Beau's Brewery (an award-winning brewery local to the Ottawa region) to provide jobs to local homeless youth has been shut down after its first day of operation. It appears that, due to an anonymous complaint made to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario which has not yet been made public, the service is being shut down.

I would like to direct your attention to Subsection 62(1)(23) of the Liquor Licence Act which explicitly permits the government to make regulations regulating and controlling the possession and delivery of liquor sold under a licence or permit. If there has ever been a situation where permitting this service would be of benefit to your constituents, a growing local business, and some local homeless youth, this would be it.

Operation Come Home does very good work with a very modest budget, and it would be tragic if the drivers that had been hired through this collaborative project were denied a chance to work their way out of the cycle of poverty out of which they had just begun to escape.

I look forward to hearing about your involvement in this matter.

Yours Very Truly,
[Name and Address]

2011 Nov 28
I assumed it was the Dial a Beer that complained.
The company that posters everywhere for beer and cigarette delivery?
Just a guess though.

2011 Dec 2
My MPP got back to me with the following link - it looks like the government may actually do something useful for a change:

ottawa.ctv.ca

go figure.

2011 Dec 2
Now write your MP as I did and tell him or her that Beaus and all other Microbreweries need to be allowed to open up their own off-site stores. Note this is NOT putting booze into corner stores.

2011 Dec 2
Good news everyone! A special exemption was passed for it! Beau's starts delivering Monday! Woo!

2011 Dec 2
CBC Ottawa news story on it coming back online:

www.cbc.ca

Woo!