Mapped Restos [General]

2007 Jul 6
I love the links to the Google Map (since I'm studying geography and they told me to be obssessed about location) so I'd like to take it a step further.
I don't know how to program anything so you can heed my advice or not.
Would it be possible to take all the vendors in one's "To Try" list and then click on a link, taking you to GoogleMaps with the balloons showing you the locations of all your need-to-try restos at the same time?

2007 Jul 6
Hi corneggs, I've thought about doing exactly that, but the problem is that I would need to have the lat/long coordinates of each vendor stored locally. While developing the site, I originally intended to have full address and lat/long info for each vendor, but then I realized what a pain this could be to keep up to date and discarded the idea. Your query has re-awakened an interest in this geographical locating of vendors... I'll think about it.

FYI, here's something I threw together a few years ago, showing local farms on google maps: fitottawa.com/map/ (you can see my interest in local food sources is not new) ;-)

2007 Jul 7
Yeah I guess that would be a pain, but if it can be of any help I'll be okay with collecting the address and lat/long of each vendor...somehow...

2007 Jul 7
Combine your idea with geocaching somehow and offer prizes to the people with the most updates every month.

2007 Jul 12
Ha that is funny.

2007 Jul 19
FF: The new version of the gmap interface will let you add markers by using addresses only (no need for lat/long), but why bother when most of the city's major points are already marked up on Wikimapia? (wikimapia.org)

Also, corneggs: FF's links to each vendor's own website will give you an address within a click or two, and from there copy/paste to Google maps. Save them in "My Maps", and there you have it. Yes, it's not shared and readily available for everyone, but it's more than nothing.... :D

2007 Jul 19
romster, you're right, but you only need to go to the restaurant's website if the "Location" link isn't working for that establishment.

Wikimapia is very cool -- didn't know about it! :)