Gold Medal Plates Ottawa 2011 [General]

2011 Nov 15
The regional competition was held for Gold Medal Plates Ottawa at the NAC tonight.

Winning gold was Marc Lepine of Atelier. Silver went to Caroline Ishii of ZenKitchen. And bronze was taken by Charles Part of Restaurant Les Fougères.

Also participating tonight were:
Matthew Brearley - Castlegarth Restaurant
Matthew Carmichael - E18ghteen
Ross Fraser and Simon Fraser - Fraser Café
Michael Hay - Courtyard Restaurant
Patricia Larkin - Black Cat Bistro
Lili Sullivan - East and Main
Steve Wall - Luxe Bistro

Not how I guessed it would go (I am not terribly good about arm chair guessing), though two of my pre-game picks did podium.

On Shawna Wagman's Top 10 List out last month in their recent issue of Ottawa Magazine, only 3 of her picks were Gold Medal Plate contenders. None of them placed.
Black Cat Bistro (Patricia Larkin)
Fraser Café (Fraser brothers)
Restaurant E18hteen (Matthew Carmichael)

At the end of the day, Gold Medal Plates is a fundraiser to support our Olympic team. With a sold out crowd and a great auctioneer (Stuntman Stu) they likely raised a bundle of cash. Hats off to all the chefs and their teams for using their great talents to bring out the crowds with those wide open wallets.

Chefs Lepine, Ishii, and Part will continue to garner attention, but let's hope the others get an extra boost too.

I personally don't have the crowd jockeying prowess to maneuver such a venue. Nor do I eat fast enough to able to hit all the stations in the allotted time. For those that went, I sure hope everyone had a great time.