Hokkaido Sushi $10 voucher from Swarmjam [General]

2011 Nov 11
I've eaten there a few times and it's pretty good AYCE sushi.

2 vouchers per person; can also buy 2 per each friend.

www.swarmjam.com

2011 Nov 11
The ad copy for this deal is not very good - it's kind of off the wall actually. If I was the client I would not be impressed:

Quote:

In the world of all-you-can-eat dining, one man strikes fear into the hearts of restaurant proprietors from the moment he walks through the door. Takeru Kobayashi is the world's most accomplished competitive eater, holding numerous world records for his epic gluttonous accomplishments. If you ever hope to break Kobayashi's record for eating 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes, you're going to need to get in some practice time. With today's deal you can practice for the next big eating competition and get your fill of fantastically fresh sushi.

Eat a little or eat a lot - the choice is yours with today's SwarmJam: $10 for all-you-can-eat sushi at Hokkaido Sushi ($20 value).

Make sure you have plenty of room for all-you-can-eat sushi at Hokkaido Sushi. This tasty Japanese restaurant features an amazing selection of over 100 items to choose from including sushi, sashimi, maki rolls, tempura, teriyaki and teppanyaki. Their skilled chefs combine the freshest ingredients to create mouth-watering masterpieces with exquisite presentation and exceptional flavour. You can eat as much as you want with today's deal but don't forget to save room for dessert.

All-you-can-eat isn't always too good to be true - so pick up today's daily deal.

2011 Nov 11
I agree with you Francis. Unfortunately, that trainwreck of ad copy is typical of groupon-style sites. I usually cringe when reading them because they're full of false stereotypes, tasteless references, and what I like to call masturbatory prose (that which is seemingly written more for the entertainment of the author than anyone else). ;-(

2011 Nov 13
I wasn't sure how the food was just because of the copy for this restaurant.

If you want to annoy the deal site, start asking them literal questions about their ad copy.

-do they serve hot dogs at the ayce sushi
-when are the eating competitions?
-will Takeru Kobayashi show up for dinner and when? ;)

2011 Nov 13
The food is fine, comparable to other AYCE sushi places. Sushi is all about prep and detail, not shoving 69 hot dogs into your face in 10 minutes. :-) Nor is Hokkaido a buffet where the food is just sitting there in an refrigerated case. You have to order your items from a menu and it's made fresh. If you can't finish what you order, you pay the takeout price on the pieces you take out.

My only criticism of Hokkaido was a couple of times the rice was not sticky enough, or pressed hard enough, so the sushi morsel was a bit crumbly. I don't like it when my sushi falls apart in the wasabi.

Yes there are a few non-traditional items on the menu too: fries (but comes with a chilli sauce not ketchup), onion rings, and chicken wings (chili dipping sauce). It's presented like sushi and the non-traditional aspect doesn't bother me. I've had them there and they're fine.

As for Takeru Kobayashi . . . while some may consider him a professional athlete, to me his sport glorifies gluttony. Which I find it vulgar. I'm more of a sport purist (soccer, hockey, 100m, gymnastics), though I have enjoyed watching beach volleyball. :-)