Coal oven pizza? [General]

2011 Jul 26
This is a picture of an amazing coal fired pizza I had last night in Oneida. It was thin and crispy, yet the crust was still yielding in texture and it was better than any thin crust pizza I have ever had. The proprietor told me that the oven they use is coal fired (not charcoal - coal!) and that there are places in NYC that use coal too.

Probably asking too much, but is there anywhere in Ottawa that does coal fired pizza? Montreal?

2011 Jul 26
That will be the day. I could be wrong but I don't think new coal fired ovens are permitted. If it already exsists it is fine. First things first like good pizza in all sizes made to order would be a good starting point. That looks like an awesome pie what was the name of the restaurant?

2011 Jul 27
Ken V, It's called Chesterfield's Tuscan Oven, and it's in Oneida NY not far from Turning Stone Resort about 20 min. east of Syracuse. I also had chicken wings that were done in the coal oven; marinated, and then baked, not fried. They were really great - flavorful, moist and juicy with nice bits of crispy skin.

2011 Jul 27
We will try to stop in for a pie on our way back home. Thanks for the tip.

2011 Jul 27
It's at rt. 5 and rt. 46 in Oneida. Genesse st. and Main St. If you're in the area for a while, there's also a place called "Murphy's Corner" downtown which is a diner run by a guy who is the nephew of Carmen Basilio, four time world boxing champion. It's pretty authentic 1950's, good breakfasts and burgers/sandwiches for lunch and full of autographed pics of famous boxers.

2011 Jul 28
That looks good, but since I have no car......kind of far to walk/bus there ;)

I know Forno Antico on Bronson has a wood burning oven....
Basmati on Somerset makes a pizza out of Naan bread they make while you watch...but it is finished in a regular oven,so not that crispy afterwards...

Maybe I'll buy Forno Antico today,I always pass by on the bus on Thurs.....

Went to Forno Antico Thurs night.
The pizza was quite good, but next time I will call ahead- it is at least 20 minutes for take-out.

They did have a coupon for people eating in on their business card and they gave me one of those!
it says complimentary main course when a second main course is purchased- valid anytime.

Also on their menu is a take-out special: salad, large pizza (mushroom, grn pepper,pepperoni or/ spinach,tomato,mushrm,onion only) + 2 soft drinks for $21.99 pick up or delivery only.

*I had the Napoletana pizza- it was quite good,but 1/2 a large is not that big and I ended up eating that myself!!

2011 Jul 31
Not coal oven but brick oven wood fired from Big Daddy's. The serving plate kept the crust crispy to the last slice with it's raised beads to let the bottom of the pie breath and shed moisture. A very good pizza. Can't get over the quality of the ingridients. the 14 inch Mama Mia is a new creation not listed on their website. Provalone,mozarella,cooked green peppers,Italian sausage, pepperoni,prosciutto,mushrooms,pancetta, marinara sauce and green olives. You could taste everything very cool. Forgot the good camera this picture doesn't do this pie justice.
www.bigdaddyspizzeria.net/

2011 Jul 31
I never knew they had pizza there- after checking the site I see you are writing about a place in the US and not here,lol.

Guess I won't be trying the pizza there!

You can also buy this metal pan for making chips in the oven- it's called a Mr Chips pan I think- I bought it from Ashton Green a few years ago.
It is a big oval pan with holes all over the bottom surface you your frozen foods have a crispy bottom.

I haven't tried making pizza with it,but I'm sure it would be good.