Do all Food and Drink recipes work/ [Cooking]

2011 Jul 19
My sister and I were discussing a menu and have had some hits and misses with the food and drink books. Just wondering if any one had favourites or ones to avoid.
There are 2 standouts.
Last week made the shrimp and sweet potato fritters with dipping sauce.
(summer 11)
Everyone thought the fritters delicious (sorry no pics, my camera broke and no I don't have a cell)
We left the shrimp in good size dice and ginger made it very tasty.
2nd is Carpaccio of Vegetables. pickled onions a big hit.

1⁄2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
2 tbsp (25 mL) sugar
1 large red onion, halved
and thinly sliced
Bring vinegar and sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Place onions in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour warm vinegar over them. Leave for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Reserve onions and drain when needed.
These will keep for a week refrigerated

1 each yellow and green zucchini
2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1 T lemon juice
3 T extra virgin olive oil
Maldon or kosher salt and
freshly ground pepper
2 oz (60 g) Parmesan cheese

Slice zucchini in thin diagonal slices using a sharp knife or mandolin.
Place zucchini slices in a circular pattern on 4 individual serving plates. Arrange tomato slices in a circle in centre of plate.
Place some pickled onions on top of the tomatoes.

Combine lemon juice and olive oil and drizzle over zucchini and tomatoes. Sprinkle with Maldon salt and pepper.
Top with shaved Parmesan.

2011 Jul 20
I love the rustic terrine with port soaked dates from the holiday 09 issue:

www.lcbo.com

I make this at least once a year, and it's a stunner to take to a holiday party or potluck.

2011 Jul 20
i've had hits and misses. i make thai corn fritters all the time from few years ago (can't find it online, my copy is ripped from the magazine).

i tried the chickpea burgers in the spring issue of this year and they were a huge fail. as i made them, i thought something was wrong because there was no glue holding the mix together. i make enough bean/veg burgers to know that they need a little something extra to ensure they don't turn to mush in the frying pan.

2011 Jul 20
hff, can you post the thai corn fritter recipe - sounds yummy.