Anyone have a Jamaican oxtail stew recipe? [General]

2011 Jul 7
Does anyone have a good Jamaican-style oxtail recipe? I am planning to modify my standard jerk chicken recipe by adding a pinch of curry powder and then stewing or pressure cooking the joints after browning them in caramelized sugar, something similar to this approach...although I’d omit the ketchup...

www.nytimes.com

Any thoughts?

2011 Jul 7
That recipe looks very yummy! I used the recipe below as a base for mine and expanded from there. I don't brown them and don't add anything to thicken the sauce. I only use water and cook it in the oven. Once the mixture is simmering, I put the whole pot with lid in the oven at about 350F for 3 hours (I've never had them tender enough in 90 minutes). Rich, brown, velvelty every time - the way West Indian oxtails should be :-)

I've made some modifications over the years, but this (for me) was an easy starting point. If you have the time to soak your own lima beans overnight and then add them they are wonderful. I use the giant white ones (aka butter beans). I have added bay leaves and about 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. It turns out different each time - depending on what I feel like adding that day LOL.

Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Preparation & Cooking Time: 2 to 3 hours

Ingredients:

3½ pounds / 1.75 kg oxtail, cut at the joint by your butcher
2 large onions, chopped (about 3 cups / 750 mL)
6 cloves garlic, chopped (about 3 tablespoons / 45 mL)
2 tablespoons / 25 mL soy sauce
1 teaspoon / 5 mL salt
1 large tomato, diced (about 2 cups / 500 mL)
1 (16-ounce / 454-g) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
2 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon / 5 mL dried thyme)
2 tablespoons / 25 mL butter
1 teaspoon / 5 mL black pepper

Method:
Wash the oxtail in cold water. In a stockpot, combine the oxtail, half of the onions, the garlic, soy sauce, and salt. Add enough water to come halfway up the oxtail. Bring to a rolling boil, occasionally skimming the scum as it forms, usually in the first 10 minutes of boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer until the oxtail is tender, about 1½ hours.

Once the oxtail is tender, there should be about 2 cups / 500 mL of liquid in the stockpot. If the liquid level is low, add enough to make 2 cups / 500 mL. Add the remaining onion, tomato, lima beans, thyme, butter, and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the lima beans are hot but not mushy. Remove the thyme sprigs before serving.

Serve hot with white rice and boiled green bananas.

Source:
recipes.caribseek.com

Cheers!

2011 Jul 9
Here is one for the pressure cooker.

www.food.com