Official Ontario BBQ Cookoff [General]

2007 May 26
Hello all

I just wanted to see if anyone was aware of the huge BBQ cookoff that is going on this weekend at the Rideau Carlton Raceway. There's a country fair, horses, monster trucks, and of course, hundreds of BBQs!

Anyhow, I was lucky enogh to be accepted as a judge today in the professional category, and let me tell you, it was the best BBQ I have ever had in my life. Now, we are tlaking real southern BBQ here, not grilling over gas.

The categories were chicken, brisket, pork and ribs, and I got to judge each one! It was one hek of an experience. You should head down there tommorow, and check it out. The BBQs are really quite something.

So yeah, zymurgist, I think you would really love this thing, seeing as you are into meat and such (at least, I think you are, judging by the photos of your tour of Europe).

So yeah! Go check it out!

2007 May 28
I was participating in the event so if you gave me great scores, thanks TJ!

This was my first competition I entered and learned quite a lot. The teams I talked to were very friendly and willing to give you any advice. Just don’t ask some of them about their competition recipes!

This is one of a series of events sanctioned by the Canadian Barbecue Association.

Here’s a picture of the ribs I turned in.

2007 May 28
Smoker Envy!!!!!!

2007 May 29
That a hell of a rig, ain't it ;) And also, ed, what team were you one?

ps: those ribs look awful farmiliar... and yummmy :D

2007 May 30
The ribs had a nice smoke ring, although the picture above makes it look raw. It was a new sauce for me- a hint of maple and apple.

My team name is Amberwood BBQ and I was set up close to the judges’ tent. My smoker was on a trailer with some Ottawa Senators decoration and some pigs blowing bubbles.

2007 May 30
Hmmm... I think my dad commented on some ribs tasting like maple and apple. Maybe it was you? He said he loved em'!