Elderflower cordial [General]

2011 Mar 19
Hi folks - it's been awhile since I checked in - I missed this board!

I am hoping you can help me. I have begun getting "into" cocktails in a big way, and was wondering if any of you have seen elderflower cordial for sale in Ottawa. This is such a common ingredient in England, and I can't seem to find it anywhere (even though there is a native species of elder here). Can anyone help?

Cheers

fly

2011 Mar 19
A few ideas...
Most Loblaw stores/other large grocery stores (and the Herb & Spice) carry Bottle Green. I've only had the Ginger-Lemongrass (quite good!) but I know they have an Elderflower drink/press as well.
bottle-green.com/

Also, IKEA has SAFT FLÄDER Elderflower syrup in their food section in Toronto.
I don't recall seeing it in the Ottawa store but perhaps...(?).

I'll add Market Organics on York Street here too. I'd call them. I'm in there fairly often and this is probably something that's there but I haven't discovered it yet.
Good luck.

2011 Mar 19
ottawa ikea has the elderflower syrup which is wonderful in drinks, or just in club soda. i also had a cocktail made of elderflower liquer and sparkling wine at zen kitchen which was delicious. much harder to find elderflower liquer though.

2011 Mar 19
LCBO just released the St-Germain elderflower liqueur--lots of stock available, but the last time they released it, it sold out pronto. Hence, carpe drinkum. It is, and I don't use this word carelessly, exquisite.

2011 Mar 20
We use the St-Germain at ZenKitchen. I ordered 2 bottles from the recent release, and just love it for cocktails.

2011 Mar 20
I've got some in my kitchen right now. It's by Bottle Green, as mentioned above. I ordered it from Mountain Path, mountainpath.com/. Cost's about $6.69 per 500ml jar.

I love it. I like the Summer Fruits flavour too. Reminds me of my childhood in England!

2011 Mar 20
Thanks for all the hints!

I never thought of Herb and Spice and I work quite near the downtown one - d'oh!

I've never seen it at the Loblaws I go to (South Keys); maybe I need to go to a bigger one, maybe the one at Baseline and Woodroffe? (That store is SO big I always feel like I need to pack survival supplies to make it from one side to the other!)

I e-mailed the Bottle Green people not long ago and they promptly referred me to their local distributor, who has, sadly, never replied. I am always a bit leery to order liquids by mail but it's nice to know this is an option!

I searched the Ikea web site and it said the Ottawa store doesn't have it - glad to hear it does! I saw the St-Germain on the LCBO web site and my local store is supposed to have 44 bottles but the price is a bit ouchy - plus most of my recipes are calling for just the cordial.

Kombu, I think you and I may have a mutual friend in Toronto...

Many thanks to all!

2011 Mar 21
I went to Herb & Spice on Bank Street today and they have the sparkling elderflower drink, but not the cordial/concentrate - it is the latter I am hoping to get (although I did buy a bottle of the sparkling to have with my lunch; it was delicious!)

2011 Mar 21
flyfish: I has access to the BottleGreen cordial concentrates via my buying group -- they're about $8/500ml or approx $45/case. I can try to order you a bottle if you wanted -- we;re placing an order in the next week and (if it's in stock) I'd have it next Tuesday.

You can pm me or send me an email -- I don't know how urgently you're looking to obtain it. ;)

2011 Mar 21
Sent you a message - many thanks!

2011 Mar 21
flyfish - the elderflower cordial at ikea is in the food section. it comes in a small, clear glass bottle. it isn't listed on their website. don't confuse it with the elderflower drink box they also carry.

2011 Mar 31
Many thanks to refashionista for getting me connected to a bottle of elderflower cordial (and to organicgirl for offering to do the same). This board is great! I cannot wait until this weekend when Delicious Cocktail Time (DCT) will feature elderflower!

2011 May 18
For those interested, there is now an Elderflower Liqueur available at the LCBO by Chase. Found it passing by aisles the other day looking for something else. Couldn't find what I was looking for (small store syndrome) so bought the Elderflower instead. It's delicious! And could probably replace the cordial ;)