Cooking Classes [General]

2011 Mar 2
Another question/comment - I'm full of them today!

Has anyone been to a class offered by the Ottawa Chinese Cooking Studio?

There's a group of us and we are contemplating a class with them (a few in the group are Asian of origin) or a class at the urban element.

Does anyone else have experience with either of these or other suggestions?

2011 Mar 2
I have taken a ton of courses at the Urban Element (almost since the beginning-;) and I can highly recommend them. The courses aren't cheap but they use local foods and they put alot of thought into pairing wines with the food. Some of the wines they serve are ordered directly from the vineyard and not available at the LCBO. They have one resident chef on staff and they often invite local chefs to conduct classes. Most of the courses they offer are 3 hour hands-on classes so you spend 2 hours cooking and the last hour enjoying the meal you made accompanied with a glass of wine (or non-alcoholic beverage if you prefer). They also offer some demonstration classes so the chef will demonstrate a certain technique or cuisine in the class and you eat after. Good luck with the cooking classes!

2011 Jul 20
Hey Flexie

Classes offered by Ottawa Chinese Cooking Studio is really good. They provide information about very good dishes, their recipes. I really love it. But then cooking classes are only meant for teaching recipes. But then presenting the dish in the best way, along with knowledge about the new tools and techniques necessary for cooking is also necessary.
If you are really fond of cooking, then it would be better to make a career in culinary arts itself. There is nothing as good as making the hobby a career. Don't panic, that you have to go to again college for 2 years or so. Following site is very helpful for those who wants to make a career as a chef.
www.culinaryartscollege.org/
There are few top culinary colleges which are providing online courses in culinary art. While taking the training you can practice at home or in the cooking classes itself. This will keep you updated in the culinary arts career. Later on if you also want to make a career in this, you can easily become a chef or head chef in any hotel or restaurant.