Holiday Season Foods [General]

2010 Nov 17
Hey folks,

I'm wondering what foods you associate with Christmas, Hanukkah, or whatever religious or cultural festivities you may have this time of year.

In recent years as I think I may have mentioned on this site before, we've started baking a Ukrainian Kalach style woven bread on Ukrainian Christmas, which is 2 weeks after regular Christmas.

We also do lobster on Xmas eve - and fortunately right after xmas last year we found some of the lobster frozen in water and bought it at a good price, so I don't have to buy it this year while unemployed :-)

And as I've mentioned before, for Xmas day we do a simple buffet meal and make the day all about the kids. Then on boxing day we do the big meal. Spreads it out over 2 days and makes both of those days less stressful rather than one big stressed out day with the kids having fun on Xmas and the adults trying to get a crazy amount of food together at the same time.

What foods do you all associate with this time of year? And are the of religious or cultural significance?

I suppose someone will end up pointing this at a previous thread but I'm too lazy to search at the moment :-)