Seeking spice: grains of paradise [Food/Vendor]

2010 Sep 17
I'm looking for a shop in the Ottawa area that carries the spice "grains of paradise". It's a spice that originated in Africa, similar to pepper (you grind it like pepper).

en.wikipedia.org

Wikipedia will tell you all you want to know about it, except where to find it in Ottawa. Anybody know a store that definitely has it?

Thanks!

2010 Sep 17
We bought ours when we were in Ann Arbor, MI at Zingermans www.zingermans.com not sure if they still have it.

A friend in Toronto who has found them in two spots in - The Spice Trader on Queen - www.thespicetrader.ca/ and the salt place downstairs at the St Lawrence Market just across from Caviar Direct just at the south east doors.

I'd check with:
Mugena Enterprise 911 Richmond Road 613 722 8228
Grace 219 Bank Street 613-567-7730
Angie's African Market 2835 Dumaurier Ave. 613-721-2206
M&J Tropical Supermarket 1509 Merivale Road 613-224-3204
African Queen Afro #17 - 2430 Bank Street 613-736-5369
Jessiflex 447 McArthur Ave. 613-761-6600

Herb & Spice Shop 375 Bank St 613-722-5747
Market Organics 126 York Street 613-241-6629

2010 Sep 17
I vaguely remember a place in Gatineau that sold grains of paradise... I'll check it out and see if I can remember the place.

Otherwise, there are Canadian online vendors which sell & deliver: www.silkroadspices.ca

2010 Sep 17
www.thespicetrader.ca
70g for $11.50 Shipping is from Toronto and is carried out through Canada Post.

www.silkroadspices.ca
45g jar for $9.99 - 45g bag $8.99 - 90g bag $15.99
Shipping is from Calgary and is carried out through Canada Post.

2010 Sep 17
Thanks for the quick responses!

I had already called some of those stores, and now I called the rest of them. No joy. Although I'm not sure I trust all of the responses, because it's known by different names to different people. And some people answering the phone were obviously dealing with customers at that same time, and once they told me they had no idea what I was talking about, probably stopped listening.

The very helpful woman at Herb and Spice knew what I was talking about, and could tell me that they definitely don't have it.

The guy at Jessiflex didn't know what I was talking about, but when I mentioned it is also known as "alligator pepper", said "Oh yes, but it's finished" i.e. they don't have any more, or they don't carry it any more.

If I eventually find a source in the Ottawa area, I'll post a follow-up message.

2010 Sep 17
Hi,
I've found this as "Graines de Paradis", however only overseas.
However, it is also known as Jamaican Allspice as far as I know... and it is such that I used to buy in Mtl. Probably available here somewhere...
BTW I'm new on the site. Came here looking for advice on wood-fired pizza, thin crust.
A