Earth Cherries / Cape Gooseberries [Food/Vendor]

2010 Mar 1
Hello Everyone,

So glad I found this website, makes my new arrival in Ottawa so much better.

For over a year now I have been on the hunt for Earth cherry jam (or Cape Gooseberry jam). My grandmother used to make it when I was a kid, and it is spreadable heaven!

Earth cherry is a member of the plant family Solanaceae, it is closely related to the tomatillo. The fruit is a small round berry about the size of a marble with numerous small yellow seeds. Surrounded by a papery husk, the fruit itself is bright yellow and sweet when ripe, making it ideal for snacks, pies or jams. It is often used in restaurants as a decorative item in deserts.

I am looking for a place that may sell some jam, or alternatively a place where I could by a plant... any ideas? Farmboy does sell them in the fall but the price is too steep to buy a suficient amount for jam making, any ideas if farms in the Ottawa region cultivate it, to buy by the case?

Looking forward to your insights!
Pentagruel

2010 Mar 1
Ground cherries are available in Ottawa, a few vendors at the Farmer's Markets in this region had them... one of them was Roots Down. Alternatively, you could ask the manager at Produce Depot how much a case would cost? Good luck!

2010 Mar 1
Macartney farms are selling them for $ 16.00 a case. I too grew up eating Cape gooseberry jam and make it every year for the family.

2010 Mar 2
You can certainly grow them here. Do you have a garden or space for a garden? There are several places that you can order seeds (Richters, Connells, Dominion Seeds). You would need more than 1 plant to get enough for jam.
I grew up eating these from our home garden in Ottawa. I also think Acorn Creek Garden farm had some. They have a farm gate store, they are at the Carp farmer's market and Landsdowne farmer's market.