Birchermuesli [Food/Vendor]

2007 Mar 17
From this food www.ottawafoodies.com/food/74

Figured it would be better to continue a discussion here rather than there.

Aha! Now I know. The germans never differentiated the two - it was all just called "Müesli". In that case I used to have Birchermüesli almost every morning. You can buy it in a bag if you also buy a tub of yoghurt to mix into it :-) There were so many types of Müesli in germany you just couldn't count them. I used to buy as many different ones as I could, and mix-and-match with various yoghurts and other similar milk-based substances. Used to eat it a lot here, too, when I first discovered the "Good For You" stuff at Loblaws.

2007 Mar 17
Müesli with just yoghurt aint genuine Birchermüesli though! It has to have the grated apples. Here, check this out (from www.about.ch):

Some information about the history of Birchermüesli:

"Birchermüesli" was invented by Maximilian Oskar Bircher-Benner (1867-1939), a pioneer of the biological health medicine and Vollwertkost.

Dr. Bircher was active in Zürich and he had a great impact on our feeding habits. Around 1900, he suggested that cereals, fruits and vegetables are more valuable food than meat, but his colleagues did not agree with his points of view. But even if the public opinion did not follow his ideas, he had more faith in his own experiences than the current doctrine.

While at that time meat was regarded as the best suited and most valuable food for humans, vegetables and fruits were considered food of the poor people. But Dr. Bircher continued to believe in what he called "food of the sunlight", meals based on biological, natural ingredients. He created a recipe which is known today worldwide as "Birchmüesli". He was also convinced that health care should be much more than just medical treatments. In 1897, Dr. Bircher founded a sanatory in Zürich, where he practiced a ganzheitliche therapy which included Vollwertkost, a daily walk, bathing and sunbathing. He even set up exercise equipment, so we can see his sanatory as a kind of a fore runner of the gym and fitness centers as we know them today.

2007 Mar 17
Aha, so it's all about the apples :-) I had followed the link to wikipedia before posting my image of "good for you", and couldn't really tell from there what separated this from what I knew as just "muesli" (and didn't notice the "see also" link). Though even with the apple requirement it's still pretty-much what I was eating because I used to mix yoghurt and apfelmuss (applesauce) into mine :-)

Gawd that makes me hungry ... I think I'm going to go to loblaw's tomorrow and look for a bag of Good For You :-)

2007 Mar 17
Applesauce is a cool idea! I rarely make Birchermüesli because grating apples is a bit of a pain. Will have to try that!