Foldover Bread [Recipes]

2010 Feb 15
urbanhippy.ca

Verbatim from my website. See original for link to basic dough recipe (though I think you'll find it here too)

I've been using my basic dough recipe the last while and experimenting with different combinations of flour. The recipe calls for 600g, but you can mix-and-match it just about any way you like. I've been on a bit of an oats kick lately, so that has been factoring into my bread as well. Oats are very low in gluten, so I've found that when using 1/4 of the flour as oats, you have to add gluten flour to account for this.

The loaf on the left here is made with barley, and the French bread is made with oats. Here is the basic recipe I've been working with :

75g gluten flour
125g oat or barley flour
250g whole wheat flour
150g white flour
I've made cinnamon buns, a fair bit of French Bread, as well as regular loaf bread.

The boys really like having sub sandwiches on the French Bread - here you can see the pan that we have for making it. My basic recipe makes 1kg of dough, and I divide that in half for this French pan. It makes some pretty large diameter French Bread - ideally I'd like to have a 2nd pan and divide it into 3 instead. But it works out well like this.

In the picture far above the bread passed my boys' standard "will-it-fold" test. One of their common complaints about home made bread is that when you make a sandwich with one slice and want to fold it over, the bread usually breaks and does not fold. Well, not this stuff! It folds over just like the store-bought stuff. I think the trick is the combination of gluten flour, and the long rise times. I do the full rise cycle in the bread machine, and in the meantime pre-heat my oven to its lowest setting 170F. When the bread goes into the pans, I turn off the oven and let the bread rise in there for 45 minutes to an hour. Turns out wonderful!

2010 Feb 15
The aforementioned pan