funny food stories [General]

2010 Feb 8
I'll start with this one from the summer after my 2nd year of university - so would have been summer of 86.

I was living in an apartment for the first time (had been living on campus before then) and doing my own day-to-day cooking for the first time. The room mates and I had bought a whole chicken to roast in the oven, and in we put it. Not sure why I would not have called my mom, in hindsight. Maybe I did and she was not home, I dunno.

But what I ended up doing is calling random phone numbers asking if they knew how to cook a chicken. Took a few tries til I found someone who was willing to take me seriously. We weren't really sure how long to leave it in there and it had already been in maybe 2 hours :-) At the urging of the person on the other end of the line we got it to heck out of there - and it was yummy!

2010 Feb 8
My favorite was when a friend of Zymurgist and mine was planning to cook a big meal to impress a girl. Not terribly adept in the kitchen, he thought we were insulting his intelligence when it was suggested the pot would boil faster with the lid on.

He didn't believe it was true and thought we were poking fun. ;)

2010 Feb 8
I volunteer with a group at U of O (People's Republic of Delicious). We get vegi's donated, cook them into whatever Vegan stuff we can and serve the food on a donation basis at lunch time on Wednesdays. You're never really sure what vegi's you'll get in the pick up. Once in a while we will get a bag full of hot peppers. I usually take them home and make curry paste since it's not really possible to use them all in one go. One week last semester we got a bag of like 40 habanero peppers. I set them aside and set to the prep work. Some other volunteers showed up, started doing the same. After an hour or so I turn around and see one of the people working away on the habanero peppers, no gloves.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm cutting up the peppers for the stir fry."
"You realize those are quite hot."
"I don't think so, I think these are like mini sweet peppers."
"Uh, no... Try a piece... and wash your hands like 45 times, they're going to sting for a day or two."
I believe that was the last time she volunteered.