the un-happy meal [General]

2007 Mar 14
A long read, but a very good one

www.nytimes.com

Talks about nutrition and how we have come to use the terminology we use today to describe what is good for us. And how wrong that really is. How far off the mark we are.

And yet we continue to ask ourselves why obesity rates, heart disease and diabetes rates are soaring.

2007 Mar 14
It's an interesting article, although a tad extreme. Sure, food science has gone a little far with the whole deconstruction thing -- trying to figure out exactly which chemicals our bodies need. But this is the same approach that works (more or less) for medicine. I agree with the sentiment though: take a holistic approach to nutrition, avoid processed foods, eat leaves (and shoots). :)

I enjoyed the advice to simply avoid the things that your great great grandmother would not recognise as food! It's a good rule of thumb but unfortunately would make sushi a taboo item for me. ;-)

2007 Mar 14
Perhaps not recognize suishi in its plated form, but she would be familiar with the ingredients.

I tend to go by, the less processed a food is, the better. Although I will be the first to admit I dont follow my own advice. :)

And while I am certainly "in touch" with my vegan side, I do have a healthy pride in my carnivorous one. Nutrition is all about no excesses and lots of variety imo.

2007 Mar 14
Yes, i agree it was a bit over the top because it is good to study food to that degree. But it's not good to take an unbalanced approach which emphasises only those aspects. Granny really did know best. What I found scary which I believe saw echoed in a cbc.ca or news.bbc.co.uk article the other day was how food grown today is so much less nutritious than what granny ate 50+ years ago. The delta in nutrient value was staggering. And of course that itself could not be determined without the very type of food science the article eschews

2007 Mar 15

Personally I'm not sure how extreme this really is. The author, Michael Pollan, also wrote a book "The Omnivore's Dilema" which has a far deeper examination of what actually goes into most mass produced food. I'd highly recommend this book, there's a nice video clip of him under the book description on amazon.com.